2017-18 Muncie Police Department Calendar goes on sale this weekend

<p>Officers from the Muncie Police Department Calendar will be at Muncie Mall from 2-5 p.m., Saturday, signing calendars and taking photos. <strong>Photo Provided&nbsp;</strong></p>

Officers from the Muncie Police Department Calendar will be at Muncie Mall from 2-5 p.m., Saturday, signing calendars and taking photos. Photo Provided 

In 2016, the Muncie Police Department responded to over 2,000 domestic violence calls.

In order to raise money for the domestic violence unit, project coordinators Jami Brown, Stephanie Reed and Trudy Swian began planning the calendar in Feb. 2017.

MPD released a limited-edition run of 1,000 calendars, each costing $20.  

“All the proceeds from the calendar are going to benefit the domestic violence unit and what we’re going to do with the money is pay for billboards in town, for victim awareness to let victims know where we’re at,” Jami Brown, said. 

Currently, a quarter of the calendars have been sold. Plans for next year’s calendar or a similar project are not underway at this time. 

“We’re going to start some other creatives thoughts with calendars and we’ve gotten a hold of a couple of victims that are survivors of violent relationships and we are going to have Amber’s Beauty College – they’re been doing our MPD makeovers for victims,” Brown said. “If they feel like they need a little bit of a self-esteem boost, they can get hair, nails, toes done, free of charge. So, Amber is working on that for us and they’re also going to be doing makeovers for our survivors to be on our billboards in town.”

The calendar will be for sale from 2 to 5 p.m., Saturday, in Center Court at the Muncie Mall. In addition to the calendars, Reed said, there will be raffle tickets for sale. The raffle prize is a basket including two tickets to the Policeman Ball on Sept. 30, various gift cards and a stay at the Marriott in Muncie. 

Officers featured in the calendar will be present to sign calendars and take photos.