Ball State improves on-time graduation rate, according to report

<p>Samantha Brammer // DN File</p>

Samantha Brammer // DN File

According to the 2017 College Completion Report released by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education, more Hoosier students are earning degrees and graduating on time. 

Within the past five years, on-time graduation rates have increased by more than 11 percent and the completion gap between minority students and the overall student population has been cut nearly in half, according to a press release. 

“We’re encouraged that recent state policy reforms combined with the ongoing efforts of our campuses are having a clear impact in helping more students complete college,” said Teresa Lubbers Indiana Commissioner for Higher Education.

The state goal is for 60 percent of Hoosiers to complete an education beyond high school by 2025.  

Takeaways from the 2017 College Completion Report: 

Completion rates

Ball State was one of the five most improved four-year campuses for on-time graduation rates in the past five years. 

According to the report, 46.8 percent of students graduate on-time at the same campus and degree level at Ball State, while 73.1 percent of students complete their education within six years. 

How completion rates differ by student population at Ball State: 

• 39.5 percent of minorities (Black or Hispanic) students will complete their degree on time at the same campus and degree level. 60.5 percent will complete within six years at any campus or degree level. 
  • 35.4 percent of 21st Century Scholars (grant recipients) will complete their degree on time at the same campus and degree level. 67.9 percent will complete within six years at any campus or degree level. 
  • 36.7 percent of other low-income students (pell only, non-scholar) will complete their degree on time at the same campus and degree level. 64 percent will complete within six years at any campus or degree level. 
  • 18.8 percent of part-time students will complete their degree on time at the same campus and degree level. 76.5 percent will complete within six years at any campus or degree level. 
  • 46.8 percent of all students will complete their degree on time at the same campus and degree level. 73.1 percent will complete within six years at any campus or degree level. 

Ball State is on track towards closing the minority achievement gap by 2025.

Other schools in the top five included IU East, Purdue West Lafayette, the University of Southern Indiana and IU Kokomo. 

Completion gap is closing

The achievement gap for black and Hispanic students has been cut nearly in half, but the rate of improvement must increase to meet Indiana’s goal of closing the gap entirely by 2025, according to the report. 

A factor in this challenge is the notable difference in first-to-second year persistence rates between minority students and their peers, which is 67 percent vs. 78 percent. 

More students on track

Minority students and 21st Century Scholars have largest gains in recent years with the most significant improvement occurring at the state’s community college campuses, according to the report.