Pavement preservation project to start on State Road 3 between Muncie and New Castle

<p>E & B Paving will be performing a $16 million construction project on more than 12 miles of highway between New Castle and Muncie on State Road 3 starting today. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED</em></p>

E & B Paving will be performing a $16 million construction project on more than 12 miles of highway between New Castle and Muncie on State Road 3 starting today. PHOTO PROVIDED

E & B Paving will be performing a $16 million construction project on more than 12 miles of highway between New Castle and Muncie on State Road 3 starting today. 

The pavement preservation project will make partial-depth and full-depth pavements repairs applying a thin concrete pavement overlay on all four lanes of the divided highway, according to the Indiana Department of Transportation. This will maintain and preserve pavement and drainage structures.

The first phase of the project will close the left lanes in each direction between the Muncie bypass and the Henry County line. All traffic headed northbound will be shifted to the right lane starting today and all southbound traffic will be shifted to the right on or after Thursday.

One right lane will remain open in each direction.

The second phase will switch traffic in the same area to the left lanes and close the right lanes in each direction, according to a news release. Some right-turn access along State Road 3 will be temporarily prohibited.

The first two phases are expected to be complete this year. Phases three and four of the project will be progress similarly between Henry County Road 300 North and the Delaware County line in 2018.