5 tips for safer summer driving

<p>Keeping jumper cables, a flashlight, and extra water in your car are just a few ways you can be prepared for an unexpected emergency this summer. <em>Reagan Allen // DN&nbsp;</em></p>

Keeping jumper cables, a flashlight, and extra water in your car are just a few ways you can be prepared for an unexpected emergency this summer. Reagan Allen // DN 

For more information and tips on safe driving in the summer, visit the NTHSA summer driving tips website.

With summer coming up, ensuring your vehicle is safe and ready for the season is something most don't do. 

The American Automobile Association is expecting to rescue 7 million drivers this summer as 4 out of 10 American drivers are unprepared for an emergency on the roadway, according to a press release.

Here are 5 ways you can make sure you are prepared and stay safe on the road:

1. Make sure you have an emergency kit in your car. A kit should be well-stocked and include a cell phone and charger, flashlight with extra batteries, a first-aid kit, tire pressure gauge, adjustable wrench, windshield washer solution, jumper cables, emergency flares, drinking water, and snacks.
  2. Make sure your vehicle has not been recalled. Enter VIN here to check.
  3. Schedule a checkup. In the press release, AAA said that drivers should take their vehicle in to a trusted repair facility to reduce the chances of a breakdown when on the road.
  4. Take an extra set of keys with you. It's smart to take a spare key, avoid getting keyless-entry remotes or smart keys wet and replace the key or fob battery in order to help prevent accidents on long trips.
  5. Check your car to prevent heatstroke. According to The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, checking the front and back of the car and keeping keys out of a child’s reach can prevent a heatstroke. A heatstroke can occur at 57 degrees and can reach deadly levels in 10 minutes on an 80 degree day.