Former Ball State student involved in Goodwill incident taken into federal custody

The former Ball State student who choked a store clerk and broke a police officer's hand at the north side Goodwill in March was taken into custody today by federal officials. 

Khalid Sulaiman Bilal

RELATED: Ball State student's apartment searched by FBI, Homeland Security following Goodwill incident

Officials from the Department of Homeland Security took Khalid Sulaiman Bilal, 24, into custody Wednesday afternoon, Chief Deputy Prosecutor Eric Hoffman said. It is unclear if Bilal will be taken to Indianapolis or Chicago.

Bilal had his initial hearing on Wednesday and is charged with one count of strangulation, nine counts of battery, three counts of resisting law enforcement, one count of intimidation and one count of criminal trespassing.

Bilal was being held at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital until he was transferred to the Delaware County Jail on Tuesday. His initial hearing was held on Wednesday and Judge Marianne Vorhees set his jury trial for July 24. 

Hoffman told Vorhees at the hearing that Bilal could be taken into federal custody in the near future. 

According to court documents filed by the Department of Homeland Security, the FBI and Department of Homeland Security searched Bilal's university apartment because his actions "showed signs of radicalization."