Associate provost for diversity Charlene Alexander announces retirement from Ball State

<p>Charlene Alexander, associate provost for diversity and director of the Office of Institutional Diversity announced her retirement at the Board of Trustees meeting Friday.&nbsp;She will start as vice president and chief diversity officer at Oregon State University June 30. Ball State // Photo Courtesy</p>

Charlene Alexander, associate provost for diversity and director of the Office of Institutional Diversity announced her retirement at the Board of Trustees meeting Friday. She will start as vice president and chief diversity officer at Oregon State University June 30. Ball State // Photo Courtesy

Charlene Alexander, associate provost for diversity and director of the Office of Institutional Diversity, announced her retirement from Ball State at the Board of Trustees meeting today.

Alexander, who has worked at the university for 20 years, spent the first 16 in the Department of Counseling Psychology and Guidance Services, which goes by a different name now.

“Ball State University is a remarkable institution and has done so much for me. I am eternally grateful," Alexander said. "I know that there is wonderful leadership committed to diversity and they will continue to do great things. I look forward to seeing it.”   

While serving as director of the counseling program, Alexander was one of the first faculty members to travel abroad with students to the islands of Trinidad and St. Lucia.

"It’s one of the most favorite things I did," Alexander said.

When she announced her retirement, board chair Rick Hall commended her on her efforts, pointing out that Alexander was instrumental in making Ball State's student racial demographic reflect that of Indiana as a whole.

“Your focus has always been on getting results, and we’ve got those results," Hall said.

Alexander will not remain idle in her retirement, however. She will start as vice president and chief diversity officer at Oregon State University June 30.