Housing scholarships no longer fund dining cash

When high school students visit Ball State, the tour guides often tell them to avoid the Atrium around noon. Other dining halls like Woodworth Commons are less busy than the Atrium around that time. DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Ball State awards more than 500 scholarships each year to reward incoming students for their academic, athletic and creative achievement and demonstrated leadership skills, according to bsu.edu.  

On Dec. 21, the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid sent out an email to students who receive a Ball State scholarship. The email was a reminder of what scholarships can't be applied toward — dining cash was added to the list this semester. 

John McPherson, assistant vice president of enrollment services, said this decision stemmed from what university scholarships fund. 

"The majority of our major institutional scholarships are limited to tuition and fees, and/or room and board," McPherson said in an email. 

Here are the 11 expenses a university scholarship can't pay for: 

1. Library fines

2. Parking charges/fines

3. Housing damage charges

4. Housing contract early cancellation fees

5. Insurance

6. Deferment/Installment fees

7. Late fees

8. Dining plus* 

9. Dining cash

10. Cardinal cash

11. Health Center charges

*unless included as part of a Commuter Meal Plan

The change was discussed between senior staff members in Student Affairs and Enrollment Services.

"In a recent routine review of our scholarships we noted that in the criteria for room and board scholarships, the description of a room and board charge is defined as 'residence hall room and board, university apartment rent and commuter meal plans,'" McPherson said. 

Based off of the criteria, it was later decided that dining cash is neither a room and board charge, nor a commuter meal plan. Despite not being able to use housing scholarship money for dining cash, students are permitted to use the funds for a meal plan.