Body-positive movie to be shown at AMC theatre, hosted by English department

<p>Embrace, a movie told from the point of view of director Taryn Brumfitt as she travels the globe speaking to women about body image issues, will be shown at Muncie AMC Theater at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 23. The film was first released in 2016 at the Sydney Film Festival. <em>IMDb // Photo Courtesy</em></p>

Embrace, a movie told from the point of view of director Taryn Brumfitt as she travels the globe speaking to women about body image issues, will be shown at Muncie AMC Theater at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 23. The film was first released in 2016 at the Sydney Film Festival. IMDb // Photo Courtesy

"Embrace," a movie about body image and positivity, will be coming to Muncie today.

The movie, which was first released at the 2016 Sydney Film Festival, will be shown at 7:30 p.m. at the Muncie AMC Theater and is open to the public.

The film is told from the viewpoint of director Taryn Brumfitt as she travels the globe speaking to experts and women in the street about body image issues.

“Embrace has been changing the [lives] of women around the world just by coming together to share our stories,” Brumfitt said. “It gives us hopes and inspiration in a world that wants us to be in a battle with our bodies.”

Kathryn Gardiner, an assistant professor of English at Ball State, wanted to bring the movie to Muncie.

“I think the place to start is with educating ourselves, and to be able to hear somebody else talk about it is a great place to start,” Gardiner said.

She was at a theatre in Bloomington when she learned about Gathr, a site that helps people bring screenings to their area.

Once she decided to bring the movie to Muncie, she began working with Ball State students to help her.

Students helped create the jacket copy, marketing posters, sales and promotion.

Amiee Taylor, who is also an assistant professor of English, will be doing a brief Q&A after the movie.

“She introduced dissertation of body-positive activism online, so we are going to have a brief Q&A with her afterwards to kind of give people an opportunity to talk about it,” Gardiner said.

Taylor’s dissertation, “Fat Cyborgs: Body Positive Activism, Shifting Rhetorics and Identify Politics in the Fatosphere,” focuses on how activist groups intersect technology with activism through an investigation of ‘Fat Acceptance’ blogs.

Tickets are available online and can be purchased until the time of the showing.