Want to say 'thank you' to university donors? Now is your chance

Lauren Pearson, a sophomore public relations major, talks to students about how to fill out a Thank a Donor card during Thank a Donor Day on Nov. 5 in the Atrium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Thank a Donor Day: 

When: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Nov. 1

Where: The Atrium, Art and Journalism Building

What: Write thank you notes to those who have given money to the university

Students were able to give thanks to alumni and other donors to the university at the third annual Thank a Donor Day. 

Around 23,000 people give money to the university each year, said Lola Mauer, associate vice president of annual giving, totaling to around $18 million. 

"Students have this misconception that their tuition is what pays for their education," Mauer said. "But the university would have to shut down for part of the year without private funding." 

Thank a Donor Day, which is going on until 5 p.m. on Nov. 1, functions as a celebration for the people who help the university function, Mauer said, and to show them the students appreciate their donations. 

For MacKenzie Potts, a sophomore speech pathology major, it's a chance to tell the donors how grateful students are that the donors still care about them. 

"Not a lot of people think about the university after they leave, and that [these donors] think about our education as much as their own is great," Potts said. 

Mauer said they hope to get more than 3,000 cards this year — up from the 2,000 they had last year and the 1,500 the year before that. 

To try to increase student participation, they've partnered with student organizations and have relied on them and the Council for Alumni and Student Engagement to get the word out. 

This year, they also have an added bonus to encourage organizations to take part. One lucky organization will walk away with $2,000. When students write a card, they're also able to vote for the student organization they think deserves the money the most. In the running is Student Voluntary Services, Leadership and Services Programs Fund, Cardinal Kitchen, Jack Beyerl Student Emergency Aid Fund and Undergraduate Student Leadership Scholarships. 

CASE narrowed the list of organizations down to these five because they are the groups they feel could use it most. 

Along with the vote, students could take photos, win prizes and meet university leaders during the "blitz" from 12 to 12:30 p.m. on Nov. 1. 

In their cards, students thank the donors for their support, generosity and their dedication to bettering the university. The cards will be mailed out to donors who have given for 10 or more consecutive years around Thanksgiving, Mauer said. 

Amanda Case, a sophomore elementary education major, received a scholarship from money alumni donated, so she wanted to show her appreciation. 

"I feel like a lot of students don't realize how much community support we get. We're kind of in a campus bubble," Case said. "[Thank a Donor Day] breaks down barriers and helps students see there's a lot more to college than just college students."