Republican Party dominates Indiana races

President-elect Donald Trump pumps his fist, with running mate Mike Pence standing by, following a speech to his supporters after winning the election at  the Election Night Party at the Hilton Midtown Hotel in New York City on Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2016. (J. Conrad Williams Jr./Newsday/TNS)
President-elect Donald Trump pumps his fist, with running mate Mike Pence standing by, following a speech to his supporters after winning the election at the Election Night Party at the Hilton Midtown Hotel in New York City on Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2016. (J. Conrad Williams Jr./Newsday/TNS)

The Republican Party swept the state races Tuesday. 

Eric Holcomb secured the gubernatorial race and Todd Young won the Indiana senate seat. Republican nominee Donald Trump won Indiana with 56.7 percent and secured 1,452,030 votes as of 11 p.m. Tuesday.

Though early polls seemed to favor John Gregg as the next governor, a poll published by WTHR four days ago showed Gregg and Holcomb tied at 42 percent, spiking above Libertarian nominee Rex Bell at 5 percent. The rest were undecided voters.

However, when Election Day rolled around, Holcomb was able to push further and secure 52 percent of the vote to Gregg's 45 percent and Bell's 3 percent.

Holcomb, who served as Mike Pence's lieutenant governor, addressed a crowd of supporters and boisterous cheers during his victory speech at JW Marriott in downtown Indianapolis.

"Well, race fans, we just captured the checkered flag," Holcomb said, "We are not competing anymore, we have won."

Holcomb took time to thank volunteers, as well as his wife, Janet.

"I want to personally thank each and every one of you who poured your heart out over these last hundred days," he said to volunteers in the audience and throughout the state.

Holcomb also addressed the skepticism he faced at the beginning of this campaign, having launched his campaign with only 100 days left in the race.

"When we kicked this thing off, you heard what I heard," Holcomb said. "'Holcomb can't raise enough money. Holcomb can't put a credible statewide campaign together in this short amount of time. Holcomb can't do this and Holcomb can't do that.' Well, they were partly right. Holcomb couldn't do it, but we did."

Young also was met with a loud and excited crowd during his victory speech. He earned 52 percent of the vote, compared to Evan Bayh's 42 percent.

"Tonight, Indiana voted for change in Washington — they voted to send in the Marines. Well, I'll tell you, this Marine is humbled," Young said. "I'm proud to have earned your trust, your confidence and your support. We're not going to let you down. I'm so humbled by the history of this moment."

Young said he initially ran to become part of the solution to major issues within Indiana and the country. He dedicated this victory to Hoosiers.

"You see, I learned in the Marines to put people before politics," he said. "And tonight we have proved that the Indiana senate seat beings to the people of Indiana. This is your seat."

Young vowed to stay true to Republicans and Hoosiers while in office.

"We need a healthy dose of common sense and Hoosier conservatism to meet the expectations of all Hoosiers. We need more Indiana in Washington and less Washington in Indiana," he said.

Though Republicans were the big winners in the state races, both Young and Holcomb took time to commend their opponents, thanking them for their service to Indiana as well as a civil election.

"While we may not agree on every single one of these issues, we do agree on the importance of serving the public," Holcomb said of Gregg.