Spectrum expresses identity through drawing

<p>Spectrum, Ball State's organization for the LGBTQ community and supporters, hosted a gathering on Friday in the Teachers College&nbsp;to explain their gender using a cartoon unicorn. Members filled out a diagram to indicate their gender identity, gender expression, sex assigned at birth, sexual attraction and emotional attraction.&nbsp;<em>Sara Barker // DN</em></p>

Spectrum, Ball State's organization for the LGBTQ community and supporters, hosted a gathering on Friday in the Teachers College to explain their gender using a cartoon unicorn. Members filled out a diagram to indicate their gender identity, gender expression, sex assigned at birth, sexual attraction and emotional attraction. Sara Barker // DN

Students gathered Sept. 9 to explain their gender using a cartoon unicorn.

The event was hosted by Spectrum, Ball State’s organization for the LGBTQ community and allies. Members gathered in the Teachers College to fill out a diagram representing their gender identity, gender expression, sex assigned at birth, sexual attraction and emotional attraction. There was also a unicorn on the diagram which members were encouraged to decorate according to how they chose to identify.

“On one hand it does sound like a little corny, but it’s something that [Spectrum] has done every single year because it’s so popular,” said treasurer Kevin Wells. "They enjoy drawing this stuff ... saying that [for example], I identify as a male but I may have some feminine characteristics as well.”

Members colored scales of their gender identities on half-sheets of paper using Crayola markers. Once they finished, volunteers displayed their artwork on the overhead projector screen and explained their gender identities and sexualities.

“It’s giving them not only a chance to do it but also a chance … to go and share with others how they feel about themselves and what their expressions are,” said secretary Melody Jensen.

The sharing session was intended to serve as emotional support for individuals who sometimes are not accepted because of their gender identity or sexuality.

“[Sharing] is a very uplifting experience and it’s very therapeutic for a lot of people to be able just to talk about themselves and how they see themselves and have that validated in such a supportive group,” Wells said.

Ashley Pickett, a junior hospitality and food management major, has been a member of Spectrum for three years and has never missed a meeting.

“Spectrum is like a big family," Pickett said. "We say that every meeting and we can’t stress it enough because some of these people don’t have family support and we really become a family.” 

This year’s gender unicorn diagram is new. In years past, Spectrum has used a gingerbread cookie diagram called "genderbread" to have members express themselves. 

“I am panromantic, so emotionally I am attracted to people differently than I am sexually attracted to people … I really like how this one breaks it apart,” Pickett said.

The change with the unicorn diagram this year was made in an effort to be more inclusive.

“It allowed people like myself who do not identify under the gender that they were born as to be able to actually involve themselves in this activity,” Jensen said.

Wells said he thought the meeting went smoothly.

“Everyone seems happy and busy and talking and so if that ever happens without like, lots of people leaving or getting bored or having their phones out,” Wells said. “The fact that there’s a lot of community and community building going on means that it’s going very well.”