THE ISSUE: Why burkini swimsuits are causing controversy

<p>Woman in a burqini. By Wikipedia (labeled for reuse)</p>

Woman in a burqini. By Wikipedia (labeled for reuse)

THE ISSUE:

Why burkini swimsuits are causing controversy

PARIS (AP) — France's top court has ruled that banning burkini swimsuits violates people's fundamental rights, setting a legal precedent after a swimsuit crackdown that elicited shock and anger in other countries. Burkinis, which cover the head, torso and limbs are a recent retail invention, not a religious requirement. An Australian woman designed the burkini to allow Muslim women to keep their bodies covered while working as lifeguards. The word combines bikini and burqa, a full-body covering with only a mesh screen for the eyes. Burkinis are rarely seen in France, though international sales reportedly have soared in response to French efforts to restrict their use.

France is both exceptionally secular and unusually fearful of Islamic extremism following last month's truck attack in Nice that killed 86 people and slaying of a Catholic priest during Mass in Normandy, attacks that were both claimed by the Islamic State group. While burkini defenders say wearing the garment has nothing to do with promoting bloodshed, some French mayors have said the outfits could undermine public order by making other beachgoers angry or afraid.

Critics say the anti-burkini crusade reflects a far-right, anti-Muslim agenda that could be a vote-winner in France's 2017 presidential election.

Student Reactions

Tyler Metzger, freshman undecided major

"I don’t think [banning religious garments] is really appropriate. I think, you know, if you’re free to express your religion however you choose, it’s up to them to express how you are, in my opinion at least," Metzger said. "Maybe [the government is] trying to feel they might have some power over some people. Maybe they want to oppress them for whatever reason.”

Jacob Senne, freshman architecture major

"People are free to wear what they want no matter where they are,” Senne said. "I don’t think that they should ban [the burkini] just because it’s a religious thing. I wouldn’t really agree with what they were doing, but I wouldn’t have a problem, I guess. Kind of like in the middle somewhere."

Michaella Gabany, senior early education major

"Everybody should have a right to dress however they want for whatever reason,” Gabany said. "I’ve never heard of [burkinis] but it sounds cool. If they want to wear it, awesome. I’m not one to judge. I would feel kind of embarrassed [if the United States] would actually ban women from wearing something."

Charles Mack, freshman architecture major

"[If the ban was here], that goes against the principles the United States was founded on,” Mack said. “I don’t think they have any sound reason to [ban religious clothing].”