A look at Ball State's new red football helmets

<p>Ball State unveiled a new red helmet for this season for the first time&nbsp;since 1970. The Cardinals will wear the helmets for the first time in their home opener on Sept. 17 against Eastern Kentucky.&nbsp;<em>Photo Courtesy // Ball State Athletics</em></p>

Ball State unveiled a new red helmet for this season for the first time since 1970. The Cardinals will wear the helmets for the first time in their home opener on Sept. 17 against Eastern Kentucky. Photo Courtesy // Ball State Athletics

Upcoming Schedule

Sept. 2 - at Georgia State - 7 p.m.

Sept. 10 - at Indiana - 4 p.m.

Sept. 17 - vs. Eastern Kentucky - 3 p.m.

The Ball State football team is throwing it back in time this season.

A new red helmet was unveiled to the team at a meeting on Aug. 23. The helmet will make its debut during Ball State's home opener against Eastern Kentucky on Sept. 17, marking the first time the Cardinals will wear red helmets since 1970.

The helmet features the signature Cardinal head on the right side and the "Ball State" wordmark on the left side. It has a thick, white stripe down the middle outlined in black, and the facemask is also white.

Ball State Equipment also tweeted out a new red facemask that can be used for any of the team's three helmets.

The Cardinals wore a white helmet with a Cardinal logo from 1971-2013. A black helmet was introduced in 2014, and the team broke out four new helmet designs last season. With three regular helmets and three different facemasks, the team will have several options for the coming season.

Ball State will open the season Sept. 2 on the road against Georgia State.

Video