A look at Ball State's new helmet designs

<p>Ball State will feature six total helmet designs this season. New white and black chrome helmets have been added, along with helmets showing support for the military and breast cancer awareness. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY BALL STATE ATHLETICS</em></p>

Ball State will feature six total helmet designs this season. New white and black chrome helmets have been added, along with helmets showing support for the military and breast cancer awareness. PHOTO PROVIDED BY BALL STATE ATHLETICS

Football - Upcoming schedule

Sept. 3 vs. VMI - 7 p.m.

Sept. 12 at Texas A&M - 7 p.m.

Sept. 19 at Eastern Michigan - 3 p.m.

With just over a week left until the start of its season, the Ball State football team is unveiling a new look.

The Cardinals will sport four new helmet designs this season in addition to the white and black helmets that debuted last season. The team will use chrome white and chrome black helmets, as well as helmets with designs supporting the military and breast cancer awareness.

Ball State will open the season wearing a white helmet with a camouflage Cardinal head to show appreciation for the military. 

The white helmets with pink Cardinals will be worn at some point in October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Another big change with these helmets is the players' numbers on the right side of the white and black chrome helmets. It will be the first time Ball State has featured numbers on helmets since the mid-1960s.

"The look helps you market the games and differentiate the opponenet and what's going on at the game," athletic director Mark Sandy said. "The other part is really to show some expertise about how to get the players excited about the game itself, and create some excitement around the program."

For a full look at the Cardinals' new helmets, check out this video from Ball State Athletics.