College students at high risk of victimization during 'Red Zone'

<p>The first week six weeks of fall semester is known as the "Red Zone" because college students are at the greatest risk of victimization.&nbsp;According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, one in 5 women, and 1 in 16 men, are sexually assaulted during their time in college.<em>&nbsp;</em><i style="background-color: initial;">DN ILLUSTRATION MAUREEN LANGLEY</i></p>

The first week six weeks of fall semester is known as the "Red Zone" because college students are at the greatest risk of victimization. According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, one in 5 women, and 1 in 16 men, are sexually assaulted during their time in college. DN ILLUSTRATION MAUREEN LANGLEY

BE AWARE OF THE RED ZONE

Tips and tools you need to know during the Red Zone:

• To keep safe, know the people who you are going out with and going to be around and watch out for one another.
  • Be sure to understand what a standard drink is. A standard drink is considered to be 12 oz. of beer, 4-5 oz of wine and 1.5 oz of 80 proof liquor.
  • Recognize the signs of alcohol poisoning and take action. Signs include acting unusually confused, repetitively throwing up, breathing different than normal, skin looks pale or bluish, loss of bodily functions, snoring unusually or loudly, or passed put (meaning you can’t wake the person up to an alert state).
  • Understand the Indiana Lifeline Law. Indiana's Lifeline Law provides immunity for the crimes of public intoxication, minor possession, minor consumption and minor transport to people who seek medical assistance for a person suffering from an alcohol-related health emergency.
  • Understand consent. It must be verbal, sober and mutual.
  • For sexual assault and violence prevention, step in when someone is in trouble. Offer to help, create a diversion and separate the person who’s at risk from the danger even if you may not know the person.
  • Put in UPD’s number (765-285-1111) in your cellphones. That way, in case of an emergency, your call goes directly to dispatch.
  • Download the Step In. Speak Up. app.
  • Trust your “gut” feelings. If you start to feel uncomfortable or unsafe in a situation, listen to your feelings and act on them. Get yourself out of the situation as soon as possible. Call for help.

Tips provided by Elizabeth Peeler, health educator of the Office of Health, Alcohol and Drug Education, the Centre County Women's Resource Center and the Indiana Youth Services Association.

For incoming students, coming to campus can be an exciting time with expectations of making new friends, trying new things and it being a new, bigger time for partying.

However, this time period can also be dangerous.

The six-week timeframe in the beginning of the fall semester up to Thanksgiving break is known as the "Red Zone" where college students are at the greatest risk of victimization. Within those few months, college campuses across the country see an increase in sexual assaults for first-year students.

One in 5 women and 1 in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college, according to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC).

According to multiple studies, female students are at an increased risk for sexual assault during the first few weeks of their first semester on campus.

It is estimated that the percentage of completed or attempted rape victimization among women in higher educational institutions may be between 20 and 25 percent over the course of a college career, according to NSVRC. Among college women, 9 in 10 victims of rape and sexual assault knew their offender.

Along with sexual abuse, drug and alcohol abuse are also increased during the Red Zone, putting students at an even greater risk of victimization.

More than 690,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are assaulted by another student who has been drinking, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. More than 97,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are victims of alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape.

“There are a lot of varying factors that have a role in the increase we see surrounding increased alcohol and drug consumption and victimization,” said Elizabeth Peeler, health educator of the Office of Health, Alcohol, and Drug Education. “For most incoming students, this is the first time that they are away from their parents and direct supervision. There are a lot of opportunities, some of which might not be the healthiest, that students can choose from. This freedom can lead students to believe they are 'invisible' to consequences.”

Another large factor during the Red Zone time period is the culture surrounding the college experience, she said.

“Due to mass media and social media, a lot of students have a preconceived notion that everyone is having sex, everyone is drinking and everyone is using marijuana,” Peeler said. “It is very hard to change this mind of thinking when for 18 years+ students have been bombarded with this image of what college looks like.”

But when you examine the data collected from the American College Health Association’s National College Health Assessment results for Ball State, percentages show the perceived social norms can be wrong.

“Students think only 2.4 percent of the BSU student population has never consumed alcohol but actually 19.5 percent of BSU students don’t drink. This means 1 in 5 BSU students don’t drink,” Peeler said. “That a lot of people who don’t drink when you think of the total number of students at Ball State University.”

While these percentages tackle the social norms, the Red Zone is still a very real, dangerous reality.

“Students should take this time seriously,” Peeler said. “Ball State, as other universities, does see an increase in alcohol and other drug violations as well as incidences incurring violence such as sexual misconduct during this time period.”

Prevention and protection begins with education and awareness among incoming students when it comes to the Red Zone.

“I think there is some awareness among incoming students of the Red Zone due to the media coverage as well as the work of violence prevention advocates, but I do believe there is more work that needs to be done for incoming students being educated about the Red Zone,” Peeler said. “Most students associate the Red Zone with an increase in sexual assault, but there is also an increase in alcohol consumption as well.”

Ball State has taken a very proactive role in spreading awareness surrounding the Red Zone.

At Orientation, all students and parents attend a session on campus safety where the Red Zone is one of the topics covered in the session, titled “Partnering for a Safe Campus.”

The Office of Health, Alcohol, and Drug Education also partners with the the Office of Victim Services to present “The Red Zone” to all Physical Fitness and Wellness courses within the first two weeks of classes.

“'The Red Zone' presents information on consent, being an active bystander, resources for sexual assault victims, harm reduction practices surrounding alcohol, Indiana Lifeline Law and BSU’s Good Neighbor Policy,” Peeler said. “In the 2015-16 school year, OVS and OHADE reached 5,377 students during this presentation.”

Kendra Zenisek, PFW Program Coordinator and instructor, highlights the importance of education and said this is the time for students to take it seriously.

“I have seen an increase over the past several years regarding how seriously students do take this information and I think, unfortunately, because more students are starting to know victims of sexual assault and/or realize the importance of the issue,” Zenisek said.

Along with Orientation and PFW lectures, Ball State and the Office of Health, Alcohol and Drug Education also work to reach out to students by visiting residence halls, student clubs and organization and classrooms.

“With the contributions of numerous Student Affairs and Enrollment Services staff to provide prevention and awareness programming, thousands of students are gaining critical knowledge and skill to help reduce the risk of sexual violence,” Peeler said. “The total student participation in all programming in 2015-16 was 24,819. Between August 2015 and April 2016, approximately 24 programs devoted to sexual assault prevention and awareness were held each month.”

To help educate and protect students who may be victimized, the university also provides other means of resources, including but not limited to the University Police Department, Associate Dean of Students/Title IX Coordinator, Office of Victim Services, Health Services, Counseling Center, and Office of Student Rights and Community Standards.

Students can also join the Step In. Speak Up. campaign, where participants pledge to step in and speak up when they witness sexual assault as a part of the Ball State adaption of a federal program about bystander intervention.

While college gives students an increase in independence and introduces a new social scene, it's important for students not only to use these resources but to also think smart, Zenisek said.

“Learning in college obviously doesn’t just happen in a classroom setting. There is a large learning curve regarding independence and how to make positive choices when faced with challenging options,” Zenisek said. “Every decision a person makes has a lasting effect, not just a momentary outcome. Students can still have fun while being safe and making responsible decisions.”