Old TV sets cause problems on campus, Muncie streets

<p>New technology has made large TVs a thing of the past. It is harder to dispose of heavy, large TV sets and places like Goodwill do not even accept them anymore.&nbsp;<em>DN PHOTO JOHN STRAUSS</em></p>

New technology has made large TVs a thing of the past. It is harder to dispose of heavy, large TV sets and places like Goodwill do not even accept them anymore. DN PHOTO JOHN STRAUSS

Remember those old, bulky TVs that existed before flat-screens? With the new technology available today, they're a thing of the past, and students are wanting to get rid of them.

But today, even if they're working, the sets are unwanted by Goodwill and other charities, and they won't get picked up with the trash, making them a hassle to get rid of.

These TV sets, packed with bulky and heavy cathode ray tubes (CRTs), have actually been posing a problem across America over the last few years.

In 2015, Americans had around 5 billion pounds worth of CRT TVs in their homes, according to a survey from the Electronics Recycling Coordination Clearinghouse.

But not everyone wants these just sitting around. And today, more retailers, recyclers, and state and local agencies have begun charging to dispose of them.

Because of this, just off-campus, these TVs can be seen outside of apartment buildings and near dumpsters, but sadly, Muncie's sanitation department doesn't want them either.

According to the IN.gov website, regulations have been made regarding electronic waste or e-waste.

In January 2011, regulations were put on households, schools and small business that made discarding various electronics — including TVs — prohibited. The goal is to keep electronics out of landfills and promote the reuse and recycling of old electronics.

With that being said, it can be extremely hard to find a place willing to recycle the old TVs since Goodwill will not take them. Cindy Graham, Goodwill’s vice president in marketing, said as the laws change, they have to change their ways too.

“The reality is that the bulky TVs are costing too much for us to recycle and isn’t bringing in a profit for our stores," Graham said. "It impacts our mission financially.”

If Goodwill will not take them, then who will? Some companies such as Best Buy and HH Gregg will take old TVs — but only if a new one is purchased from the respective store.

College students, however, don't always have the money for a brand new TV.

Another way to get rid of old TVs could be through a “recycle day,” where residents of certain cities can bring unwanted items, like out-dated TVs, to the drop-off site, where they will be taken at no charge.

Yorktown, just a 10-minute drive from campus, hosted a Community Cleanup day on April 16. Anyone could bring their old electronics, including those bulky TVs, to the Town Hall for free disposal.

While this date has already passed, the city hosts its cleanup day every year.

As Ball State students move in and out of town this summer and fall, they might not be able to wait this long to dispose of their unwanted TVs that take up too much space. Luckily there are a few other options, like rummage sales or simply keeping that old TV if it's in working condition.