Wondering why you didn't get a university alert for the tornado warning yesterday?

Tornado sirens: 

• The warning sirens emit a continuous three-minute warning, and then turns off. Don't assume the danger has passed when the siren stops sounding
  • An all clear 30-second blast from the siren will sound when the danger has passed. If there's no additional alert, the warning ends at the time specified in the initial alert
  • The siren is used to alert people of dangers, such as tornadoes or severe thunderstorms. If you hear the siren, take cover inside away from windows and keep watch on the storm with local radio or TV stations

Source: bsu.edu

After Delaware County was put under a tornado warning around 10:30 p.m. on May 1, some students took to social media to wonder why Ball State hadn't sent out an emergency alert. 

Situations the university sends out alerts for vary, but tornado warnings are the one thing specified on Ball State's website that they will send out alerts for. A tornado warning means that a tornado has either been sighted in the warning area or the radar indicates the possibility for a tornado. 

Information given on the emergency alerts shows that the university will post important information on bsu.edu and send texts out through the emergency system when the National Weather Service issues a tornado warning. 

However, although NWS issued a tornado warning around 10:30 p.m., no university alert was sent out. 

Students who live in residence halls had to go down to the basements or lower floors, but other than that, no instruction was given for the rest of students. 

Joan Todd, university spokesperson, said the text alerts are supposed to happen automatically for tornado warnings, and it didn't happen. 

The alert system recently went through a few upgrades, and Todd said IT experts are checking to see if that may have caused the lack of an alert. 

To sign up for emergency alerts, visit Ball State's websiteThe Weather Channel and emergencyemail.org also offers free alerts. NewsLink Indiana Weather and WCRD Weather also provide weather updates on their Twitter accounts in addition to live storm coverage provided during the school year by WCRD. WCRD can be listened to via 91.3 FM, wcrd.net, or by downloading the TuneIn Radio app and searching for WCRD.