Future SGA secretary has hockey in his blood

<p>Brock Frazer, a junior professional selling major, has been playing hockey since he was 3 years old. He decided to come to Ball State after not wanting to risk playing junior hockey instead of going to school. <em>DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</em></p>

Brock Frazer, a junior professional selling major, has been playing hockey since he was 3 years old. He decided to come to Ball State after not wanting to risk playing junior hockey instead of going to school. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Daily News is catching up will the four members of the incoming SGA executive board before they take office. Get to know your campus leaders.

James Wells — president

Ana Batres — vice president

Emily Halley — treasurer

Editor’s Note: This is the first of four stories to run that will feature the slate members leading up to their inauguration.

It's safe to say that Brock Frazer’s life has revolved around hockey. 

With a great grandfather who has won the Stanley Cup twice for the Detroit Red Wings, a grandfather who played professionally in Germany, and a brother who played in the Air Force, hockey is in the blood of the future Student Government Association secretary. 

Since he was 3 years old, Frazer said he always seemed to have a stick and puck in hand.

He moved out of his family's home in Noblesville, Ind., when he got recruited at age 14 to play hockey at the Culver Military Academy, a boarding school almost two hours away. 

At age 14, he had to learn to organize his own life and plan his day out, on top of school, friends, the military and playing three sports.  

“I’ve traveled for hockey since I was like 5," he said. "I was always in different countries, different states playing hockey, so it wasn’t a big adjustment, but it definitely set me up for success later down the road."

Frazer said he likes hockey because it’s not a person’s everyday choice of a sport.

“I think because it difficult — I like difficulty and everything like that," he said. "It's something that not just everybody can pick up. It takes a lot of training, and I’ve put in a lot of work for it, so it’s nice to have fun with it." 

Not only has he traveled since he was 5 years old, but he has also played hockey in different countries like Canada and Sweden.

Hockey also helped determine Frazer’s choice of coming to Ball State. He was originally going to play junior hockey instead of going to school. 

But he decided he didn’t want to take the chance, and he quickly settled for Ball State because of all the great things he had heard about the school from his friends. 

He wasn't recruited to play hockey — the university doesn't even have a Division I team — but he joined a club hockey team his freshman year at Ball State so he could continue to play, even if it wasn't at as high of a level. 

On the academic side, Frazer, who is a junior professional selling major, started out as a double major in biology and pre-dental. 

"I’ve had pretty much every surgery or procedure on your teeth or mouth that you can have, and now they look great," he said. "Mom still hates that I play hockey, but that’s OK. So I knew a lot about the industry and stuff, and I thought I'd like it, but I found out sitting in a [chemistry] lab for four to eight hours a week is not what I wanted to do for four years.”

After his major and hockey team were established, Frazer was recruited to run on the Summit slate for the 2016-17 SGA executive board. 

He said there are aspects that can carry over between hockey and SGA, mainly regarding leadership. He said he's taken a different approach to the "hockey mentality" than a lot of players do. 

“Typically, the hockey players on other campuses are stereotyped as being the jerks and cocky, and I feel like I do the best I can to take a step back and put others before myself,” he said. “That’s the leadership style I’ve tried to pursue in hockey, both on and off the ice, and I think that’s something I could do for SGA — taking what everyone else wants to see and making sure that’s my focus before doing anything that I would want to see.”