Chick-fil-A hosts Valentine's Day dinner

Love birds of all ages enjoyed a non-traditional Valentine’s Day meal at Chick-fil-A on Feb. 13.

Seating times for customers were at 5 p.m., 6:15 p.m., and 7:30 p.m. Customers made reservations for the event about a month in advance and paid $10 per person. The restaurant was fully booked for the event with each time slot seating about 30 people.

Employees at Chick-fil-A, located at 511 W. McGalliard Rd., began setting up the restaurant for its second annual Valentine’s Date Night an hour before the event.

Thirteen tables in the center of the room were covered with white table clothes and set with white plates, clear silver cups and plastic silverware. The tables were each topped with white flowers and white rose candles floating in glasses of water. Strings of yellow lights hung from the ceiling.

Story continues after video.

Rachael Cowin, head of marketing for Chick-fil-A, said she had been planning the event for two months. Cowin said the restaurant did its best to break even on the cost of the event.

“We don’t really do this to make money; ... we do it just to, you know, make people happy and create those moments for them,” Cowin said.

Customers were seated at their tables where waiters took their orders and served them food ordered from the Chick-fil-A menu. A band made up of a pianist, a saxophonist and a singer played live music during the dinner.

Wayne Simmons, a customer from Hartford City, Ind., said he and his wife go to Chick-fil-A more than any other restaurant.

“If you want to have a great experience, this is the place to come,” Simmons said.

Cowin said the restaurant will most likely make the event an annual tradition, and Simmons said if he is in town, he will be there.  

As people finished eating, waiters brought customers goodie bags containing cupcakes and passed out red roses.

Cowin said the event attracts a wide range of people, including older couples, families and “raving fans.”

“We have actually a mother and son sitting at one table and then a daddy and daughter sitting at another close to each other, and they said that they want to teach their son how to be a proper man on a date, so he can watch his daddy,” Cowin said.

Cowin said some Chick-fil-A locations host Valentine’s Date Night, though others do not. In the past, Muncie Chick-fil-A has hosted a daddy-daughter date night and a mother-son date night on Valentine’s Day.