Byte Top Five: Best Starter Pokémon

With the twentieth anniversary of Pokémon on the horizon, the Byte Features team will be looking at the best and worst of those Pocket Monsters you can't help by love. This week we will be looking at the best Pokémon starters.

5. Oshawott - Jake Doolin

There are plenty of reasons why Oshawott would appear on this list, be it that they’re one the best (albeit one of the few) water types in the Unova to their evolutionary chain which has one of the most striking designs of any final evolution.

But for my money the reason Oshawott is so great is that little scallop on his belly. Not only is it an accessory (which gives Oshawott some style), it doubles as a powerful weapon that absolute wrecks other Pokémon in this path. It also helps that Oshawott looks so adorable when they use it.

4. Froakie - Emily Reuben

Although it has a cute exterior and lax expression, Froakie is one of the most valuable starter Pokémon for any competitive trainer. Once fully evolved, the hidden ability Protean makes this little frog turn the fast sweeper Greninja, into a deadly threat perfect for competitive players. Besides having an extremely helpful hidden ability, the design of Froakie’s evolutionary chain is spectacular.

There have been many frog themed water Pokémon in the past, but none have had the originality of Froakie’s evolutionary line. The ninja theme gives much needed diversity from the other frog’s in the Pokémon universe and makes sense considering Froakie’s dual water/dark typing.

3. Totodile - Dalton Martin

Let’s be real, Totodile is the best Water-type starter ever. Where most Water Pokémon tend to rely on using Special Attacks, Totodile and it’s subsequent evolutions mostly rely on their brutish physical attacks. Even though Totodiles are playful in nature, just one playful nip is known to injure Pokémon and Trainers alike, a testament to the strength of their mighty maws.

Once a Totodile fully evolves, the cute little guys turn into the behemoth Feraligatr, whose Pokedex entry reads “When it bites with its massive and powerful jaws, it shakes its head and savagely tears its victim up.” I don’t know about you, but I can see why they have “feral” in their name. The unorthodox nature of this starter, mixed with just how flat out adorable and deadly they are, is reason enough to have Totodile at the third spot on our list!

2.  Cyndaquil - Meghan Duffy 

In a generation of awesome starters, Cyndaquil really stood out. Not only was it really cute, but when fully evolved it turned into one of the raddest final forms a Pokémon could have. As Typhlosion it becomes a great choice in battle as well as being super cute and huggable -- just watch out for its fiery mane.

Actually, all of Cyndaquil’s forms are cute and huggable, it’s one of the reasons it’s one of the best starters. If you’re a 10 year old kid going out to the world for the first time, it’s not hard to imagine that you would want a Pokémon that’s strong enough to protect you but also cute enough that it’ll comfort you while you’re seeing new sights. Heck, even as a grown adult Cyndaquil would be the perfect travel buddy and fits perfectly in our number two slot.

1. Treecko - Nick Dowell

In a world where the grass starter is not the most loved in each generation (all y’all Charizard groupies need to stop acting like Venusaur isn’t the best), it’s hard to believe that one could be picked as the best of all starters. That being said, Treecko is the best, and there are so many reasons why that I can’t even list them all. He came from one of the best generations of starters, sharing his spot with Torchic and Mudkip.

He evolves into one of the coolest final evolutions, who has one of the coolest Mega-evolutions. The best part though, is that his anime counterpart reflects how we all feel after a long day of dealing with the nonsense of college. Just get a twig, place it between your teeth, and lay back like nothing actually matters.