Woody/Shales to close in Fall 2016

<p><em>DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</em></p>

DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Woody/Shales residence halls in LaFollette Complex will not be reopening for students in Fall 2016, according to an email the university sent out on Jan. 12.

Due to that, the Discover and Early and Elementary Education Living Learning Communities will be moving to Studebaker West in the fall. Discover LLC will move to Painter/Whitcraft and Education to Palmer/Davidson.

The university is allowing any students currently living in Woody/Shales to have a chance to sign up to live in Studebaker West before other students can.

If students would like to stay within those LLCs, they can sign up to live in Studebaker West from 9 a.m. to noon on Jan. 25.

Cindy Miller, assistant director of marketing, communications and technology for Housing and Residence, said there are no set plans on what will happen to Woody/Shales.

"We can't predict the future at this point on what we are going to do with that space, but it gives us a lot of opportunity to do different things with that area," Miller said.

Miller said there could be possibilities for renovations, or if there is a large incoming freshman class, they could be placed there if needed. 

"We are just trying to make programs and services accessible for students and something that would really support them in their academic time here at Ball State," Miller said.