Fewer students complete Think About It this year

<p>A lower percentage of students are participating in the mandatory program for freshmen, Think About It<em>.&nbsp;</em><i style="background-color: initial;">DN PHOTO MICHELLE KAUFMAN</i></p>

A lower percentage of students are participating in the mandatory program for freshmen, Think About ItDN PHOTO MICHELLE KAUFMAN

Think About It is a three-hour online course that simulates situations that students may encounter while at parties and aims to teach how to properly handle situations like alcohol poisoning and consent issues. 

Nov. 25 was the final deadline to complete the course. Not completing it is viewed as a violation of student code, and those who did not complete it will have a code violation letter placed in his or her official file, said Thomas Gibson, associate vice president for student affairs.

"The letter can be removed upon student request and completion of Think About It," Gibson said. "We care about our students and want them to be equipped with as much information as possible to help ensure the safety of all members of our educational community."

Last year, more than 80 percent of students who were assigned the course completed it. This year, 57 percent of freshmen and transfers and 87 percent of graduates completed it. Raffle prizes were advertised on posters throughout residence halls to further encourage students to complete it before the deadline.

"We wanted to explore options such as an incentive program to encourage their completion of Think About It," Gibson said.

Mary Owen, a freshman social work major, said she knew most of the material prior to going through the course, but thinks the university should continue to make it mandatory because some students may not know the information.

"It's good for people who don't know so they can continue to learn and know how to party smart if they're going to do that kind of thing," Owen said.