Front-runner Hillary Clinton's views on issues

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton talks to supporters in Dallas at Mountain View College on Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2015. (Joyce Marshall/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS)

Get to know the other candidates in the running with these DN candidate guides:

Republican candidates:

Marco Rubio

Ted Cruz

Donald Trump

Jeb Bush

Ben Carson

Democratic candidates:

Hillary Clinton

Bernie Sanders

Hillary Rodham Clinton is the owner of a résumé unlike any other — senator, Watergate lawyer, first lady and secretary of state. 

Clinton, a four-decade veteran of campaigns and two-time presidential contender, is leading the polls for the 2016 presidential primary. Although recent chatter about private emails and Benghazi hearings have been prevalent, Clinton and her campaign aren't slowing down.

Here is a look at where Clinton stands on key issues:

Education: Against No Child Left Behind. Position unclear on implementation of Common Core.

In her 2008 campaign, Clinton criticized former President George W. Bush’s trademark education program, calling No Child Left Behind an "unfunded mandate" and pledging to end the program if elected into office. During a recent campaign engagement in Iowa, Clinton implied her support for Iowa’s version of Common Core, but she did not specifically endorse the national education standards.

Immigration: The president should waive deportation for some immigrants, but give undocumented residents a path to legal status.

Clinton supports comprehensive immigration reform, including a path to legal status for undocumented immigrants. She voted for the 2007 plan endorsed by then President George W. Bush, but the bill died while in the Senate.

Late last year, Clinton also spoke in favor of President Obama’s executive actions to waive deportation for some immigrants illegally in the country.

Marijuana: “Wait and see” on overall legalization.

Clinton told CNN last year she wants to see more studies and research, especially in states which have legalized marijuana, before forming her opinion on the federal level. 

However, earlier this year, Clinton labeled marijuana as a "gateway drug" and said there "can't be a total absence of law enforcement."

"I'm a big believer in acquiring evidence, and I think we should see what kind of results we get, both from medical marijuana and from recreational marijuana, before we make any far-reaching conclusions," Clinton told KPCC radio in July. "We need more studies. We need more evidence. And then we can proceed."

Social Issues: Abortion should be legal. So should same-sex marriage.

Clinton is a staunch supporter of legal access to abortions. As secretary of state, Clinton said in a Congressional hearing, “Family planning is an important part of women’s health, and reproductive health includes access to abortion.”

As for gay marriage, her stance has “evolved.” Clinton now supports same-sex marriage, but she has since acknowledged that this was not always her vocalized viewpoint. Her conversation on the topic with NPR’s Terry Gross last year made headlines, although it's uncertain if constituents are fully convinced by the change in heart.

Clinton also blasted Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act, tweeting that the situation at the time was “sad.”

Taxes: Consider closing loopholes and cutting middle class taxes.

Clinton's campaign aides told the New York Times that she is considering proposals to close corporate tax loopholes and cut middle class taxes as part of her campaign platform. In the past, she has indicated concern over concentrations of wealth by higher incomes, including at a speech last year where she said, “extreme inequality has corrupted other societies.”

Clinton may propose to keep capital gains taxes below 20 percent, as she did during a primary debate in 2008, where she proposed suspending the federal gas tax for the summer as consumers faced rising prices at the pump.

Islamic State: No boots on the ground. Use regional troops.

Clinton believes the U.S. should use air support to fight the Islamic State and that American and other Western troops should not be fighting on the ground. Instead, she argues that regional forces, especially the Iraqis, should provide ground troops to fight ISIS and similar threats.

Clinton wrote in her memoir, “Hard Choices,” that she pushed the Obama administration to become more involved in Syria earlier. 

During an August interview with The Atlantic, Clinton said the failure to help Syrian rebels directly led to the rise of the Islamic State, and on Nov. 17 in Dallas, Clinton said closing the door on refugees fleeing Syria would undermine "who we are as Americans."

"We have always welcomed immigrants and refugees," Clinton said. "We have made people feel that if they did their part, they sent their kids to school, they worked hard, there would be a place for them in America."