Enjoy fall with 5 nearby hiking trails

<p>The Cardinal Greenway features different hiking trails that connect from Richmond to Marion, Ind. and have different trail heads throughout Muncie.&nbsp;<em>SAMANTHA BRAMMER // DN FILE</em></p>

The Cardinal Greenway features different hiking trails that connect from Richmond to Marion, Ind. and have different trail heads throughout Muncie. SAMANTHA BRAMMER // DN FILE

Cardinal Greenways

The Cardinal Greenways are a series of connected trails from Richmond to Marion, Ind. The 62-mile route passes through Muncie. Trailheads can be found throughout the city including on McGalliard Road next to Olive Garden, East McCulloch Boulevard, West White River Boulevard and at Westside Park.

Travel the White River Greenway portion to get a taste of the complete experience. This stretch of the greenway extends from the West White River Boulevard trailhead to a loop near West Wysor Street and is a little over 3 miles.

Prairie Creek Reservoir

Located about five miles southeast of Muncie, this park contains 1275 acres of water and 750 acres of land for recreational endeavors. The reservoir may be man-made, but its beauty is authentic. Enjoy the scenery by traveling the horse trail that wraps around its western edge.

Fishing, camping, boating, beaches, water sports and biking are also available at Prairie Creek. 

Mounds State Park

Mounds State Park is located in Anderson, Ind., about 25 minutes away from Ball State’s campus. The park includes 6 trails, but it's most famous for its “Great Mound” which may have been created around 160 B.C.

The park contains 10 other earthworks built by a group of Indians known as the Adena-Hopewell tribe.

The historic area also includes fishing, hiking, picnicking, swimming and a newly-built Nature Center. The Nature Center contains displays of small animals and a bird viewing room.

Minnetrista

This area, located off of North Wheeling Avenue, was bought by the Ball family and now includes a facility meant to preserve the cultural heritage of East Central Heritage.

The property also includes themed gardens and a six-acre Nature Area where hikers can embrace the diversity of Indiana’s plant and animal wildlife.

Christy Woods

This nature area is actually located on Ball State’s campus in the southwest corner. Christy Woods is made up of deciduous forest, tall grass prairie and other plant communities—all managed by the Field Station and Environmental Education Center.

Christy Woods serves as an outdoor teaching laboratory for the students of Ball State as well as the community of Muncie. Throughout the woods, explorers may come across bulletin boards, an open wood shelter or an indoor classroom, all there to educate visitors about nature.