Annual yard show unites sororities, fraternities despite difficulties

<p>National Pan-Hellenic Council’s sororities and fraternities participated in their first event of the semester. Yard shows are a common event among NPHC around the country. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY DARIUS NORWOOD / MIND OVER MATTER PR</em></p>

National Pan-Hellenic Council’s sororities and fraternities participated in their first event of the semester. Yard shows are a common event among NPHC around the country. PHOTO PROVIDED BY DARIUS NORWOOD / MIND OVER MATTER PR

Loud hollers and calls could be heard outside on the University Green as the National Pan-Hellenic Council’s sororities and fraternities came together to participate in their first event of the semester—the annual yard show.

The yard show is a common event among NPHC’s around the country. It’s a time when each of the historically black sororities and fraternities in NPHC can showcase their stepping and strolling skills, as well as the history of their organization.

Stepping combines stomping, clapping and the spoken word, while strolling is a synchronized dance, often performed in a line, according to the website for Mu Sigma Upsilon, a multicultural sorority. Both traditions make for an enthusiastic show.

Technical difficulties, including fading music, marred the beginning of the yard show, which featured the Beta Phi chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.

The audience came together to sing the songs for the performers, but the lack of music only lasted for a moment before Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. brought in their speakers to keep the show going.

Raquel Myers, the president of the NPHC board and member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., watched the proceedings with satisfaction.

“I like seeing all of the NPHC organizations coming together. I want to see more of that on campus and also get more participation from other students on campus at our events,” she said.

Even through all the music issues and some minor weather ones, fellow students seemed to enjoy the show.

“The show was really nice, despite the minor hiccups. They all came together in the end, and the show ended up being entertaining,” said Tasha Wilson, a junior.

Danielle Jarrett, a junior and member of the Tau Nu chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., noticed the lack of support at times, despite an audience of about 100 people.

“I had fun performing, but I wish the crowd was just a little more hype, “ she said. “All in all, it was a good show, and we all got to come together as NPHC. I hope to see more of us uniting together for events in the future.”