Back to School Show features 'slew of killer groups'

<p>Village Green Records will be hosting their annual Back to School show on Aug. 29 on the lawn of the store. The first band goes on at 4 p.m. <em>DN FILE PHOTO ALISON CARROLL</em></p>

Village Green Records will be hosting their annual Back to School show on Aug. 29 on the lawn of the store. The first band goes on at 4 p.m. DN FILE PHOTO ALISON CARROLL

What: Village Green Records Back to School 2015 Concert

When: 4 p.m. Aug. 29

Where: Village Green Records front lawn, 519 N Martin Street

Village Green Records's annual Back to School Show will be welcoming students and locals for another year by hosting new musical acts as well as some old.

The Back to School Show at VGR, a record store located close to campus, will be open to all, but especially this year's new students.

"We really like to invite the community of new freshmen and returning students to our shows throughout the year, and [the Back to School Show] is meant to be the way for us to kick off the year strong," said Travis Harvey, owner of Village Green Records. "These are all veteran, consummate musicians, and each of them really set the bar high for all of Midwest."

Just like he handpicks the records he sells in-store, Harvey personally selected the artists that will be performing, ensuring the concert will deliver a "slew of killer groups from all walks of music," as he said on the Facebook event page.

The Back to School Show is usually one of the biggest events VGR holds, if not the biggest, said Harvey. 

"This year's show will be a first time for many acts," Harvey said, speaking of acts like Plateau Below, The Varsity and The Pummels.

Also new to the VGR front yard will be Streetlamps for Spotlights and Heaven's Gateway Drugs, both hailing from Fort Wayne, Ind.

"Each [have] been building up a strong fan base throughout Central Indiana and Muncie," Harvey said. "But this will be the first time they play VGR's Back to School Show.”

Harvey also mentioned he's excited to see several returning bands: groups like Pravada and Ampersand Blues Band.

Also reappearing will be Sweet Poison Victim, who "have brewed up their very own brand of Afro-Funk," Harvey said, "something you'd never expect to hear in Indiana."

All three will travel from Indianapolis to perform in the show.

Karl Selm of Sweet Poison Victim said he and the band are looking forward to playing in Muncie again. 

"We played the VGR Back to School Show two years ago in 2013, and it was a really wild time," Selm said. "Kids in Muncie are super chill and open-minded, and it really suits our eclectic kind of party music."

Selm also mentioned that Sweet Poison Victim has played with Pravada and Ampersand Blues Band before, and "they always put on a good show."

"[Harvey] always puts together a great, diverse lineup too," Selm said. "We are happy to be back on such a solid bill this year."

Several Muncie natives will take the stage as well, including Robin Goodfellow of Radio Cologne and Planet Boom Bap, a hip-hop band that Harvey said was, "put together by the wisdom of local hip-hop long-stays Merc Versus and Donta Rollins."