No needle-exchange for heroin users in NW Indiana, despite hepatitis C increase

KRT LIFESTYLE STORY SLUGGED: HEALTH-NEEDLES KRT PHOTO BY TODD PANAGOPOULOS/CHICAGO TRIBUNE (September 12) Needles collected by the Chicago Recovery Alliance, one of about three dozen needle exchange programs in the United States. The Chicago program operates for several hours a week at eight different sites in the city. (mvw) 2003

Lake and Porter counties had fewer than five new confirmed cases of hepatitis C last year, according to the State Department of Health.

Spikes in cases of hepatitis C in southern and central Indiana have led state officials to approve needle-exchange programs for three counties; a request from another county is under review.

Porter County it isn't considering a needle-exchange program as its number of hepatitis C cases has remained steady, county Health Department communicable disease supervisor Jennifer Harkel told the Post-Tribune (http://trib.in/1EpMiOH ).

That's even though Porter County has recorded more than 60 heroin-related deaths over the past five years.

"We don't have what we would consider an epidemic situation ... We know there is IV drug use, so we do testing at the health department and we can refer people if they have risks for those things," she said. "We go to the Porter County Jail and test there. We don't test as many people as we'd like, but we feel like we're pretty proactive."

Indiana's health commissioner has approved needle exchanges in Scott, Madison and Fayette counties to combat the spread of HIV and hepatitis C under a new state law allowing those programs that was spurred by an HIV outbreak centered in Scott County, which is about 30 miles north of Louisville, Kentucky. Needle exchanges provide IV drug users with clean needles to prevent people from sharing needles, which can spread diseases.

Fifteen counties have been moving toward potentially implementing needle-exchange programs, according to health officials.

Marianne Kundich, the nursing supervisor at the Lake County Health Department, said the state is focusing on counties with a high incidence of acute hepatitis C cases. Lake County had more than 20 heroin overdose deaths both in 2012 and 2013, but the disease rates are the factor being considered for the needle-exchange programs.

Harkel said she hoped any intravenous drug users who share needles would be tested for hepatitis C and HIV.

"The sooner they know have it the better and hopefully they don't infect others," she said. "Also, the sooner they can start treatment."