Cyclist hit by car on campus suffered broken leg, concussion

<p>A  cyclist was crossing the McKinley and Neely Avenue, when they were hit by a car. The cyclist was turning left onto McKinley Avenue. <em>DN PHOTO KAITLIN LANGE</em></p>

A  cyclist was crossing the McKinley and Neely Avenue, when they were hit by a car. The cyclist was turning left onto McKinley Avenue. DN PHOTO KAITLIN LANGE

UPDATE: 

While Craig Ostrowski, a senior visual communications and glass blowing major, was riding his bike home from class, a car hit him, breaking his leg.

"I had the green light ... and I was at the intersection at the architecture building and Robert Bell and the car in front of [the driver who hit me] cut me off, so I had to swerve out of the way or I would’ve gotten hit," Ostrowski said. "[The driver who hit me] was right behind him and I guess he was so close to them he didn’t see me."

Ostrowski said his tibula "snapped in half" and he has a cast up to his thigh. 

He also had a concussion and was in the emergency room for four hours after he was hit and had to get a CAT Scan and X-ray.

EARLIER: 

One student was sent to the hospital after his bike was hit by a car on campus Aug. 31, witnesses said.

Elle Corum, a sophomore marketing major, said a cyclist was crossing the McKinley and Neely Avenue intersection, when he was hit by a car turning left onto McKinley Avenue around 2 p.m. Aug. 31. 

"I heard a smack and then saw the bike fly," Corum said. 

She said he was taken away in an ambulance, but was sitting up prior to the ambulance's arrival. 

Joan Todd, university spokesperson, said the student had a leg injury. She was unable to provide a name at this time. 

The story will be updated.