Coach looks to gain advantage for season through trip to Bahamas

Head coach James Whitford talks with sophomore guard Zavier Turner on the bench during the game against Bowling Green on Feb. 14 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Games in the Bahamas

Aug. 5 - vs. PJ Stingers

Aug. 7 - vs. Bahamas All-Stars

Ball State Newcomers

Ryan Weber

Trey Moses

Tahjai Teague

Naiel Smith

Nate Wells

"Obviously we're going to a beautiful place in the Bahamas," Whitford said. "But we'll get to see the area and see another way of living. In terms of team chemistry and bonding, it's a huge asset because you get a lot of quality time together."

The Cardinals will leave on Aug. 3 for Nassau and return to Muncie on Aug. 8. 

They will play two games while in the Bahamas. The games will come against the PJ Stingers and the Bahamas All-Stars at The Kendal G. L. Isaacs National Gymnasium.

Whitford said the opportunity to play in real game situations will benefit the team, because it's a different environment than controlled practice time.

Ball State has a total of 12 practices this summer, including two in the Bahamas.

"In any new season, there's a lot of things you have to teach," Whitford said. "We have five new players. You have to put in your defense and put in your offense, and those things take time."

The Cardinals return 11 players from last season's roster that finished 7-23. Whitford said the biggest impact of the foreign tour will be on the newcomers, however.

Transfers Ryan Weber, Naiel Smith and Nate Wells, along with freshmen Trey Moses and Tahjai Teague, will be eligible for Ball State this season.

There's always a learning curve with newcomers, Whitford said, but the trip to the Bahamas can advance that learning curve and have the new guys fully integrated by January or February.

"I think from the five guys, we expect them all to compete for significant roles on the team," Whitford said.

Whitford thinks the foreign tour can also help the team get off to a fast start in the opening months of the season.

The NCAA allows teams to take a foreign tour once every four years. Ball State's last trip was to Vancouver in 2011, where the team finished 4-0 and later started the season with a 10-4 record.

Although every team can take a foreign tour and most do, it's on a school-by-school basis.

Ball State received a good portion of the money for the trip through paid games with other schools. Utah bought out of a scheduled game this year for $125,000.

Whitford said they were fortunate to be able to raise the money and schedule the tour, and he couldn't think of a more perfect time for it.

"This was our team, our year to do it, and it was the right time to do it," Whitford said. "We have so many new players and so many young guys still. I wanted to take advantage of it this year, and we were fortunate."