Alumnus-owned contracting business coming to Muncie

While mulching his garden, Brian Doster, a Ball State alumnus, thought of a new business called GottaJob that he plans to eventually launch in Muncie.

GottaJob LLC is an online marketplace for people hoping to outsource mundane chores and other projects, according to a press release.

Doster created GottaJob because he needed some assistance with household work and didn’t want to hire a full service company such as a landscaping company.

Doster graduated in 1992 with a degree in marketing. He said he has always been interested in entrepreneurship. Over the course of his career he has worked in the food service and equipment industry.

Gotta Job works for two groups of people. The first is the independent service provider who wants to make some money and the second is for the consumer, someone who needs to hire help for small jobs around the house.

The website has a database of service providers. A consumer looking for help can log online and post a request. The company then reaches out to an independent service provider from the database and makes a match.

GottaJob also allows consumers to dictate the price.

Bri Schage, a senior child development major, said she really likes the idea of Gotta Job, pointing out it could be helpful in a time of transition.

“I will be moving to a new house and starting a new job. It will be super nice to have people help me move things around,” she said.

The planning for the company started in January 2015. Doster spent the first three months building the business format and website.

Doster tested the business in Fort Wayne, Ind., but said he has decided to concentrate on mid-sized Indiana cities such as Anderson and Muncie.

Doster said GottaJob might be a way for college students to make extra money or for teachers to make extra money during the summer.

Jacob Butler, a junior telecommunications major, said he thinks he is self-sufficient enough not to depend on the website, but he might use it for other reasons.

“I would use it to supplement my income or fill a gap in between jobs,” he said.