Business fraternity hosts wing eating contest

Event information

Wings: 10 for $10 or 15 for $15 or 25 for $20.

Sign up as a parter or individually

Each contestant will be automatically entered in the raffle

The marketing fraternity is starting a tradition by hosting its first wing eating contest this weekend. 

“Ball State has never had a food eating contest, ever. When I found that out, I thought it was an awesome idea to have a wings contest,” said Pi Sigma Epsilon project manager Kaylee Clark. 

The wing eating contest will be on the University Green April 11 from 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. and will be supplemented with field day activities like corn hole and ladder golf, as well as a raffle.

Buffalo Wild Wings will provide the wings, Clark said. The decision to have wings as the competition’s food was a collaborative effort.

“We thought, 'Well hot dogs are just swallowing, but traditional wings require some skill. You have to unhook the bone and all that good stuff,” said Jacob LeMay, PSE community service coordinator. “Plus, they’re delicious.”

The contest will have slates for either individual contestants or teams of two. There will be several heats dependent on amount of wings, which can be 10, 15 or 25.

PSE wants this to be for students, faculty and even themselves, president Payton Pitts said. The fraternity has been wrapped up in a competitive atmosphere and needs to blow off some steam, Pitts said.

“We have a regional and national competition that we are involved in. We’re going to nationals April 13-19, and we’re in need of some fun,” Pitts said, regarding the PSE national competition which brings the national fraternity together for a week of business competitions.

The competition has marketing, sales and recruitment challenges that bring about many networking opportunities. Although the team is excited to compete, it's looking forward to its field day solidifying them as a greek organization.

“When you say you’re Pi Sigma Epsilon and explain that it’s a marketing organization, people roll their eyes. I really want this event to solidify us as a brotherhood,” LeMay said. “We’re still a greek organization.”

The group hopes the event will be an effective effort to unify students right before the stress of finals week.

“We want this to be a campus-wide event where everyone can have a good time. It’s the end of the year, let’s all get together and enjoy the campus and being at Ball State. That’s what it’s all about,” LeMay said.