Muncie Gras wrestlers live out dreams

<p>Jacob "Lil' Nasty" Brookes yells as Trey "King Midget" Jackson clings onto his hand. Brookes and Jackson tussled in the Extreme Midget Wrestling Federation's first match of the night. DN PHOTO LAUREN DAHLHAUSER</p>

Jacob "Lil' Nasty" Brookes yells as Trey "King Midget" Jackson clings onto his hand. Brookes and Jackson tussled in the Extreme Midget Wrestling Federation's first match of the night. DN PHOTO LAUREN DAHLHAUSER

Lights, laughter and alcohol defined Muncie Gras 2015. For its 14th year, the event that boasts 7,000 to 9,000 attendees entertained its crowds with acts including the Blue Moon Circus, Carenza’s Caravan Belly Dance and Fire and the men of the Extreme Midget Wrestling Federation.

The four wrestlers, with stage names like “Lil’ Show” and “Fabio,” occupied a small tent overflowing with a constant crowd of onlookers.

Chris Romain, their road manager, started working for the federation with the intention to stay for three days. He's been with the wrestlers since May. 

“We’re family,” said Romain, who also goes by Jet. “I’d die for any of these guys, and they’d do the same for me.”

He said he wants his sport to be seen as a serious competition, not a sideshow act.

All of Saturday’s wrestlers entered into the federation with wrestling backgrounds. Some, like 50-year-old Danny Campbell, have been wrestling for years. This is Campbell’s 33rd.

Wrestling isn’t just a job for Campbell: he said it was a dream with the odds stacked against him.

“The only thing stopping you from achieving anything is you,” he said.

Jacob Brookes, 24, has been wrestling since he was 13, and Chris Blanton, 25, became obsessed with the sport in junior high.

Some of them have been trained by WWE wrestler Pat Tanaka.

The men travel across the world with the federation, appearing in South America, Europe and Japan, according to their website. Some of them leave more behind than others while on the road.

Trey Jackson, in his first year with the federation, left behind two children. The federation’s a continuation of a sporty streak for Jackson. He played basketball and football in high school before settling into wrestling.

Jackson and Brookes competed in the first match of Muncie Gras. During the match, a spectator dumped ice into the ring.

“I was pretty ticked off but I gotta do my job either way,” Jackson said.

Despite the incident, Muncie local Jamie Morrison said the wrestling brought a spark to Muncie Gras.

“It’s a really good show and fun,” she said. “There’s really good vibes and no trouble happening.”