Local band writes EP for people, love of music, "the groove"

Find "Good Times in Hard Places"

On Friday, The Indigos EP drops everywhere music is sold including Spotify, iTunes and stores. 

The Indigos play at Be Here Now on Friday for their CD release show. Doors open at 8 p.m. and the Indigos perform at 11:15 p.m.. 

Source: Matt Mellen 

Matt Mellen starts moving his body side to side with his arms bent in front of his face. He looks up, smiles and says, “The music we write is the music that gets people to do this -- getting into the groove." His band mate, Brandon Brookshear nods his head in silent agreement.

Though both wearing hues of indigo, Mellen, a senior business and leadership communication leader, and Brookshear didn't plan their color coordination. These two are the founders of the eight-member band, The Indigos, which officially formed last February. This Friday, The Indigos plan on releasing their first EP, “Good Times in Hard Places.”

The Indigos utilize many instruments including rhythm and acoustic guitars, saxophone, percussion, keyboard and bass.

They based their name off of the term "Indigo Children." Nancy Ann Tappe, the creator of the term, described Indigo Children as individuals tasked with uniting mankind by using their ability to accept others for who they are.

"Indigo Children manifest in a physical reality of what they truly enjoy, dream and inspire to do," Mellen said. "We are Indigo Children because we are doing what we love."

Mellen and Brookshear describe their sound and genre as "Indiegroove," a collaboration of Indie pop and rock. They said it includes 70s dance music, 80s rock, modern pop and indie music all collaborated into one sound.

Their upcoming EP consists of six songs written by Mellen and created with the intention of capturing the interest of others.

Mellen said "Good Times in Hard Places" has a wide array of genre influences, and that anyone, if not everyone, can identify with at least one song on the EP. 

"It's very genuine," Mellen said. "I didn't write any of those songs because somebody told me I had to. The meaning behind them are still very genuine and rings very true to a lot of people. Not just myself."

The Indigos produced and recorded the entire album at Ball State. Their goal is to break into the Top 40 market and compete with national and international artists. Mellen said he does not plan to make much money from the EP.

Mellen just wants people to listen to The Indigos' music and say, "Damn, that was good."

Brookshear’s favorite song is “The Groove.” Mellen and Brookshear said they think it will be the most popular song on the EP.

The Indigos started producing "Good Times in Hard Places" in September. Mellen had formed the skeletons of the songs and the band came together and wrote most of the instrumentation. The guitars were written during their time in the recording studio.

Mellen said it took the band three months for tracking, and another three months of 12-hour, late night and early morning post-production sessions.

Brookshear enjoyed the experience of the recording and the creative process.

"Creating things is what people are meant to do," Brookshear said. "Music is what we like to do so it's just an awesome process for us even though it can be strenuous and stressful sometimes."

Mellen’s journey with the EP ended in a visit to the hospital after too little sleep and too many energy drinks.

Mellen said he only slept a couple of hours a day while making the EP. He obsessed over the recording process and the desire to make the EP exactly how he envisioned it. On top of that, he juggled classes during the production process.

"It was physically straining on me, but it was worth it," he said.

As for future endeavors, Mellen and Brookshear plan to pursue music. Brookshear intends to sustain himself with music until he can start a small business.

Mellen hopes music will bring him a solid source of income after May. He plans to take his music to the national level at festivals like Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza, and then proceed to the television and radio sectors. 

To listen to The Indigos check out their Facebook page