Fontaine's double-double leads Ball State over Eastern Michigan

Junior guard Nathalie Fontaine and sophomore guard Jill Morrison high five during the game against Purdue on Nov. 14 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State Team Statistics

Field goal percentage - 47.4

3-point percentage - 29.4

Free-throw percentage - 72.2

Rebounds - 38

Assists - 16

Turnovers - 14

Steals - 9

Nathalie Fontaine recorded a double-double for the second straight game and led Ball State over Eastern Michigan 72-62 on Wednesday night for the Cardinals' second straight win.

Fontaine shot 8-for-13 from field goal range and finished with 19 points and 15 rebounds, leading the team in both categories. It was her sixth double-double of the season, and fourth in Mid-American Conference play. 

"She has really been key for us grabbing some big rebounds," head coach Brady Sallee said. "It was really big, especially since it helped us beat them in rebounding, which is something that we have really needed to do and have been working on."

The Cardinals outlasted the Eagles on the boards, 38-33.

Ball State pulled down 12 offensive rebounds, leading to second-chance baskets. 

For the second consecutive game, four players scored in double-figures for the Cardinals. Following Fontaine in scoring was center Renee Bennett, who shot 6-for-8 from field goal range on her way to a season-high 15 points. 

"We knew that with their style of defense we would have a lot of openings to get the ball to [Bennett], and the girls exploited that," Sallee said. "They really did well with executing game plan the entire game."

Guards Shelbie Justice and Jill Morrison were the other Cardinals in double figures, scoring 11 and 10, respectively.

Though Justice and Morrison both hit two 3-pointers, the majority of Ball State's offense came from inside, as the Cardinals outscored the Eagles 40-18 in the paint. 

"We didn't outright say that we would aim for inside scoring, but it was just the result of playing against their defensive style," Sallee said.

On the defensive end, the Cardinals forced 15 turnovers and nine steals. Ball State created 21 points off turnovers in the game. 

Ball State sent Eastern Michigan to the line four times on six team fouls. The Eagles were 3-of-4 overall while the Cardinals were 13-18.

With the win, the Cardinals picked up their fourth consecutive victory on the road and moved to 12-10 on the season and 8-3 in the MAC. Ball State remains tied at the top of the MAC West division. 

Ball State will return home to host a game for the first time in two weeks on Feb. 14, welcoming Bowling Green to Worthen Arena. 

The Cardinals defeated the Falcons in their only matchup so far this season.

"We feel like it's been too long since we have been home, so I feel like we will be prepared and ready for Bowling Green," Sallee said.