Student puts new thrift shop to the test

DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS
DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS

A gift for thrift

• Jasmin Shopp acquired most of her finds from estate sales.
  • Shopp found her thrifting inspiration in her grandma, who Shopp said owned over 200 shoes. 
  • After becoming addicted to thrifting, Shopp opened her store to share her finds with the people of Muncie.
  • Visit Vintage Shoppe at 220 N. Walnut St., Wednesday through Saturday, 11 a.m. until 6 p.m.

Sure, buying a new outfit feels great, but it’s better to do without the post-shopping, spent-all-the-money-on-H&M panic. Jasmin Shopp, the owner of the new downtown store, Vintage Shoppe Thrift and Gift said a student could put together a “one-of-a-kind” outfit  for just $20 at her store.

Sophomore fashion major Christopher Atkinson put that claim to the test as he styled sophomore aspiring model, Essence Taylor, with pieces from Vintage Shoppe. Atkinson chose three outfits and explained why they would work.

1

"This outfit is a good blend of something old and new,” said Atkinson. “But it can still be considered comfortable yet dressy. It also had a good silhouette overall, and grey is good for any season."

Grey tank: $3 / Skirt: $7 / Shoes $7 / Total Cost: $17

2

The denim jacket pushed this outfit over the $20 edge, but Atkinson said it was an actual vintage piece that could be paired with almost anything.

“This look is more of a truer vintage vibe with a bit of a rocker attitude: something that a lot of women are identifying with nowadays,” he said. “It also had a bit of a 90’s grunge feel.”

Jacket: $20 / Jersey: $5 / Leggings: $ 3 / Total cost: $28

3

“A little black dress is always a good option: something every girl should have in her closet,” said Atkinson. “This one in particular gives a timelier feel. Since it is a velvet dress it gives it more of an expensive look. It’s also a good foundation piece. The socks and boots along with it just add a bit of fun.”

Dress: $6 / Shoes: $7 / Total Cost: $13

Overall, Atkinson managed to put together two out of three outfits for less than $20, backing up Shopp's claims for the most part and giving Taylor a fashion boost.