A cappella group's camaraderie leads to ICCA Midwest Quarterfinals

<p>Unexpected Resolution performs at Pruis Hall. The a cappella group will compete at the ICCA Midwest Quarter Finals on Saturday. PHOTO COURTESY OF UNEXPECTED RESOLUTION </p>

Unexpected Resolution performs at Pruis Hall. The a cappella group will compete at the ICCA Midwest Quarter Finals on Saturday. PHOTO COURTESY OF UNEXPECTED RESOLUTION 

Groups at Chicago, ICCA Midwest Quarterfinal:

Ladies' Choice A Cappella- Ball State

Note to Self- Ball State

SedOctave- Ball State

Unexpected Resolution- Ball State

Acafellaz- Illinois State University

Counterpoint- Loyola University Chicago

The Huskie Hunks- Northern Illinois University

No Comment A Cappella- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

The Ransom Notes- The University of Chicago

True Men- Truman State University

Source: varsityvocals.com 

General Script

From “the Rock" to “Savage” – even to “Mom and Dad” – the nicknamed members of the new Ball State a cappella group, Unexpected Resolution, share a strong bond.

On Saturday, the group, composed of 15 members, 10 of which are freshmen, head to Chicago to compete in the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella Midwest Quarterfinals. Three other Ball State a cappella groups will compete alongside them.

“We are one of the closest groups,” said Sam Meyer, a freshman telecommunications major and Unexpected Resolution’s public relations director.

General Script

As a freshman, Meyer lies in the majority of Unexpected Resolution members.

When the group formed at the beginning of last semester, about half came from the class of 2018.

“As one of the oldest guys in the group, it’s really interesting to watch how quickly the younger kids form their friendships with one another,” said John Steele, a senior hospitality and food management major.

The younger members' ages motivate them to prove themselves on stage, said Steele.

Seniors like Steele and Jared Green, an economics major, contribute in other ways.

Green’s disciplinarian tendencies have earned him the nickname “Dad.” Steele plays the supportive role of “Mom.”

“I think it's hilarious actually, but it really does fit. It's just part of my personality,” Steele said.”I like to take care of people. I bring them cookies and other treats and I give incredible hugs.”

So far, the group dynamic has paid off.

Ball State has never had four a cappella groups attend the ICCA Midwest Quarterfinals. 

“We are not going lighthearted,” Meyer said. “We are going there to win, and I believe with the set we have and if we can pull it off correctly, we have a shot on going to semifinals.”

Unexpected Resolution didn't just choose four songs with a nice sound, which is the normal route for an a cappella group, said Steele. Instead, the group intends to perform six that tell the story of a complicated romantic relationship complete with infidelity, remarriage and more heartbreak.

Win or lose, Steele hopes the freshman members enjoy their quarterfinals experience.

“The whole thing is so much more than just a competition,” he said. “It’s a chance to spend a weekend completely immersed in something that they love, surrounded by other people who also love it.”