SGA board presents $100,000 budget update

SGA Budget allocations for 2014-2015

Fall 2014 $48,640.72
Spring 2015 $48,640.72
Rollover from 2013-2014 $4,933.71

The Student Government Association’s executive slate presented an update on its more than $100,000 budget and platform at the Senate meeting Wednesday.  

The update listed the $3,900 spent on Cardinal Kitchen, Ball State's campus food pantry. There was a $2,000 budget set for it at the beginning of the year.

SGA Treasurer Sidney Staples said the extra money came from the allocations for 24-hour library services, which did not happen during Finals Week last semester. 

He said the kitchen received more funding so more supplies can be purchased.  

The Cardinal Kitchen opened Jan. 7. Nearly 80 students used the pantry the first three Wednesdays the kitchen was open, according to the platform report presented at the meeting.

Rachel Johnson, a volunteer coordinator for the kitchen, said she is happy with the amount of students utilizing the kitchen considering it is a new organization on campus.

“This has gone better than I could have ever imagined,” Johnson said. “I am so excited to see the success of this for both SGA as well as our organization.”

Cardinal Kitchen has also received a donation of 1,000 pounds of food from Selma United Methodist Church, according the report.

Staples said part of the funds from the 24-hour library services initiative will go toward the social media night at the men's basketball game Feb. 4. Students had the opportunity to sign up and get a t-shirt personalized with their own Twitter handle. 

"So far we have not gone over the budget, we have used all the of the expenses toward what they were budgeted out for besides the 24-hour library service," Staples said. 

One platform point that has been scratched is the Excellence in Leadership Mentorship program, which was intended to help students find their leadership role and get students involved.

“We didn’t receive the student interest that we needed,” Rahissa Engle, secretary, said.

Before the program was planned, the SGA was originally going to host a conference; however, there is a high volume of conferences that would have conflicted.

“Whenever we would reach out to these students, they never responded or did not seem that interested,” Engle said.

She said they are going to revamp it again to develop other programs or activities to help students get involved on campus.

Earlier this month, SGA also conducted the t-shirt trade-in at the men’s and women’s basketball games at Worthen Arena.

Five hundred shirts were donated to the Muncie Mission, according to the platform report.

The application for incoming freshmen to receive sponsorship for summer bridge programs is set to go live within the next week, said Engle. The application is expected to be online.

According to the budget, there is $600 for the summer bridge sponsorship.

Last week, the executive board met with President Paul Ferguson. The board plans to have him come to an SGA meeting so students can talk with him and ask questions.

“He really wants to be connected with the students," Engle said. "He wants to know what is going on."