Ball State Health Center creates Ebola protocol

President Barack Obama holds a meeting on Ebola with Ebola Response Coordinator Ron Klain in the Oval Office of the White House on Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014, in Washington, D.C. (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/MCT)

The Ball State Health Center said it is preparing a plan to handle Ebola if it ever reaches campus.

Deidre Dorman, medical director of the Amelia T. Wood Health Center, said they have been working on the protocol with IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital and Ball State since August.

“Our protocol involves screening incoming international students if coming from West Africa, screening students that walk in, and we have reached out to the study abroad program as well," Dorman said.

She said students should call to report Ebola symptoms before going anywhere.

OPINION: Ebola is scary, but you're probably not going to die

“At this time, the most important information will be for students who have traveled to call the Health Center if they develop any symptoms, so that they can be screened over the phone to determine how to direct their care instead of having them walk in to be seen,” Dorman said. “The response if Ebola came to campus would be based on the risk of exposure, the severity of the case and would be determined by a coordinated effort with BSU, IUH [Indiana University Health], BMH and ISDOH.”

She said the protocol set up for Ball State students is what the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends, but would not comment on specific steps taken.

Neil Gifford, Ball Memorial manager of public relations and marketing, said the hospital is prepared, but also would not give specific details.

"I would just emphasize that in the East Central Region of Indiana, IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital has experienced medical teams that are specially trained to handle and treat a wide variety of medical conditions — from the most common to the most complex," Gifford said in an email. "We have robust plans in place for managing the Ebola virus, and are in regular contact with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The Indiana State Department of Health and our healthcare colleagues nationwide to ensure we are following the latest recommendations and protocols to protect our patients, visitors and team members."

The Indiana State Department of Health has both a hearing impaired and regular call center to answer questions about symptoms, screening and diagnosis of Ebola, according to the Associated Press.

“There are a lot of questions about Ebola right now, and unfortunately quite a bit of misinformation going around,” said State Health Commissioner Dr. William VanNess in a press release. “The call center will provide people with a way to easily speak directly to a state health representative to get the information they need.”

Notices are in place to refrain from traveling to Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea unless absolutely necessary, according to the CDC website.