MEN'S TENNIS: Cardinals finish strong at Milwaukee Classic

Freshman Patrick Downs hits the ball in his singles match against Toledo on March 30 at the Cardinal Creek Tennis Courts. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Ball State men’s tennis team closed out tournament play at the 39th annual Milwaukee Classic today with impressive wins in both singles and doubles.

The Cardinals faced off against Air Force to finish out the singles action. Ball State won and swept five out of the six matchups.

True freshman Jan Jirus was the only Cardinal in singles competition to come out of the tournament undefeated after defeating Nico Carpenter 6-3, 6-3.

Sophomores Lucas Andersen and Patrick Downs both finished the tournament with a 2-1 record. Andersen defeated Grant Taylor 6-1, 6-4. Downs won in a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Max Olsen.

Seniors Pat Elliot and Ray Leonard both took home victories as Elliot took down Lucas Fumagalli 6-1, 6-0 while Leonard defeated Andrew Parks 6-2, 6-3.

True freshman Collin Rigney lost to Sean Chi 6-3, 6-4, as he failed to win a match this weekend.

In the doubles competition, the Cardinals defeated Wisconsin in all but one position.

Elliot teamed up with Andersen throughout the tournament and finished strong with a 2-1 record after defeating Jakhongir Jalalov and Jose Carranza 8-5.

Downs paired with sophomore Matt Helms once again to defeat Josef Dodridge and Darius Mackenzie 8-5. The two finished the tournament undefeated in doubles play.

The team's next tournament will be Sept. 19 in the Indiana Hoosier Fall Tournament.