Athletic Department will bus 240 students to football game

Senior wide receiver Jamill Smith is hoisted into the air by teammate Zane Fakes after scoring a touchdown against Central Michigan University on Nov. 6. Ball State won the game 44-24. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

What

The athletics department will bus 240 students to the Ball State football game against Northern Illinois University.

Sign up

Registration will be available at the women’s volleyball game tonight against the University of Toledo.

When

Wednesday

Cost

Free to students

The athletic department will bus 240 students to the football game against Northern Illinois University on Wednesday.

Jason Whitlock, an ESPN.com journalist and Ball State alumnus, agreed to pay $5,000 to transport 100 Ball State students to the game. Alumni Brady Hoke, football head coach of the University of Michigan, and his wife, Laura, agreed to match Whitlock’s offer to transport 100 students.

The $5,000 will pay for a box lunch to and from the game, transportation and a portion of the tickets.

The athletic department will pay for an additional bus to send 40 students with the most reward points to the game, as well.

Whitlock’s only request is to save 25 spots for journalism students and 25 spots for the Black Student Association.

Students can sign up for the buses starting at 6 tonight during the women’s volleyball game against the University of Toledo at Worthen Arena. Availability is on a first come, first serve basis and sign up will continue at 11 a.m. Friday, if spots are still open.

Brian Hardin, deputy athletics director, said the game against Northern Illinois is the “game of the year.”

“Whoever wins that one would win the MAC West and play in the MAC championship game,” Hardin said. “It’s a big deal.”