Ball State to try to contain Kent State's senior scorers

Cardinals try to to extend winning streak to three

After losing to IUPUI on Dec. 23, it seemed Ball State was headed toward a Mid-American Conference season with a record under .500, a stat that hasn’t translated to success in league play.

Since that point, however, the team has pulled out two wins by a combined three points over Norfolk State and at Eastern Michigan.

While three points isn’t a comfortable winning margin, the Cardinals newfound success closing out tight games is something coach Billy Taylor said he’s excited about.

“I think our guys have played well down the stretch,” Taylor said. “They’re doing the right things to be successful late in the game. Fortunately we’ve had guys on our team step up and make plays.”

Ball State (7-6) is looking to extend its two game winning streak on Saturday against a Kent State (9-6) team that was picked to finish third in the MAC East Division.

The Golden Flashes lost their first conference game, but boast a lethal duo of seniors Chris Evans and Randal Holt. Both average double figures at 16.7 ppg and 13.2 ppg game, respectively, and each have taken 90 more shots than the next closest player on the team.

Taylor said in Kent State’s opening conference loss against Toledo, the Rockets did a great job of shadowing Evans everywhere on the court and limiting Holt.

The Cardinals will seemingly need to do both to be successful on Saturday. Taylor said if the team can keep up its recent play, starting the conference season 2-0 is well within reach.

“I think it starts with us understanding who we are as a basketball team,” Taylor said. “Earlier in the nonconference season, we were playing inconsistent. We’ve talked about playing more consistent and really understanding what we’re trying to do offensively.”