Ball State will re-focus on gameplan against Wyoming

Murphy will be needed for second straight game

After a disappointing road loss on Sunday, the Ball State women’s basketball team will try to regroup for a quick turnaround game on Tuesday evening against Wyoming.

However, coach Brady Sallee doesn’t see Wyoming as his team’s biggest threat.

“The opponent for us is secondary,” Sallee said. “We’ve got so much to get better on our end that that’s really where our focus is. Hopefully they saw that when they don’t follow a gameplan, that’s just not going to work for us.”

The Cardinals fell behind early and struggled to contain the 3-point ball on Sunday. Ball State gave up seven 3-pointers in the first half alone.

Ball State had 18 turnovers in Sunday’s loss, the most it’s had since Dec. 1.

Wyoming is 8-2 and shooting 45 percent on the season. Its shot defense has also been stifling, holding opponents to just over 36 percent from the field.

It looks as if Ball State will have to take better care of the ball to succeed on Tuesday.

The Cowgirls have turned the ball over just 16 times per season, while the Cardinals are turning it over at a clip of 18 times per game.

While Ball State has just two players in double digits in scoring, junior Brandy Woody and freshman Nathalie Fontaine, Wyoming has four.

Both Kayla Woodward and Kaitlyn Mileto are averaging 13.1 points per game for Wyoming.

Woodward is a 5-foot-11 sophomore who has 18 of her points from the free-throw line.

Mileto is leading the team in field goal percentage and 3-point shooting percentage.

She’s shooting over 50 percent in both categories.

Chaundra Sewell is third on the team in points with 12.8 per game, but where she excels is on the boards. Sewell is averaging 10.1 rebounds per game, by far the most on her team.

Ball State junior Katie Murphy will be taxed with both defending her and stealing rebounds away from her.

Coming off an ankle injury, Murphy picked up seven rebounds in 26 minutes on Sunday. Sallee said that she still is not 100 percent after suffering the injury on Dec. 6, almost two weeks ago.

Although Sallee says that his team’s opponent is secondary, it will still have its hands full on Tuesday. Sallee says that following the gameplan will be first priority.

“We’ve got to that part figured out and fixed,” Sallee said. “That’s where we are right now.”