BSU reacts to elections

During the 2012 election season, students were vocal about issues they were passionate about and proved the drive of the youth vote.

At least 49 percent of people under the age of 30 are said to have voted in the election, according to an analysis by the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement.

According to an email from Mitch Isaacs, associate director of student life, on Tuesday, 250 students rode the Election Day shuttle and 250 students attended the election night watch party at DeHority Complex as they awaited election results.

“It was just the whole nail biting thing of when it was going to happen, [it] was definitely anxiety. It was very stressful,” Ashleigh South, a sophomore biology major, said recalling election night.

Education and the economy continue to be two important, leading issues for Ball State students. 

“I’m hoping for a lot of jobs,” South said. “And I’m definitely hoping for an economic growth in that schools, especially colleges, are much more attainable to those who cannot or would not be able to afford it elsewhere.”

Dakota Crabtree, a junior elementary education major, said she believes re-electing President Barack Obama for a second term was essential for continuing change in education.

“You can’t make the significant change we need in four years,” Crabtree said. “The federal government giving states incentives on improving different programs, including different things in their schools, that’s what I want to see.”

Students also became involved with local elections in support for their preferred candidates in the races for governor, Senate, House and superintendent. Student Democrats campaigned for Sue Errington in the race for the Indiana House District 34 seat.

“I’m thrilled to have been a part of that campaign. Students were there almost every night,” Drew Farrington, University Democrats president, said. “It was great being an influential part.” 

Regardless of political views, Crabtree said she hopes politicians can unite and work together for the better of the American people.

“I’m not a person who strictly votes for parties,” Crabtree said. “If we have a Democratic state superintendent and a Republican governor, it’s all about seeing if they can work together.”

Although he did not vote for Mike Pence, Bryce Buchanan, a freshman microbiology major, said he believes Indiana is “one of the better off states” economically and hopes the new governor will continue that.

He also said he hopes politicians will work together.

“I hope there will be more bipartisan working together in Congress to help get stuff passed that works for everybody,” Buchanan said.

Students attended on-campus events leading up to the election by the hundreds. The Gibbs-Cheney debate had 1,300 attendees. The 6th District debate had 300-400 attendees and the Errington-Oliver debate had 150 to 200 attendees, Isaacs’ email said. 

On election night, College Republicans attended the Republican watch party in Indianapolis. 

“It was fun to be around people with similar beliefs,” said Kelsea Neal, College Republicans public relations chair. “It was a state-wide support system.”

“We’re moving forward and hope for bipartisan action at the federal level during [Obama’s] upcoming term,” Neal said.

University Democrats and College Republicans say their next step is to continue informing the Ball State community. 

“It’s time to look at policy stuff ... and continue being watchdogs,” Farrington said.