FIELD HOCKEY: Ball State opens weekend with two home games

Team looking to build off 8-2 win last week

After the first home win of the season last weekend, the Ball State field hockey team has many things to prepare for this weekend.

First and foremost - two home matches this Saturday and Sunday, against Missouri State and St. Louis, respectively.

Head coach Beth Maddox believes that last weekend's 8-2 victory over Lindenwood will get the ball rolling for the 2012 season for Ball State.

"It was nice to score a lot of goals," Maddox said. "It builds confidence and just reinforces the fact that we do the things we need to do the right way, so it's definitely a plus."

Missouri State is currently 2-5, with one of its wins coming against St. Louis, a 4-2 victory on Sept. 7. The Bears are the first Mid-American Conference opponent for the Cardinals, and vice-versa.

Missouri State started the season in a hole as it was outscored 21-2 in its first three games. However, it has seemed to have somewhat righted the ship as it has only been outscored by two goals since then.

St. Louis, on the other hand, is in a much worse position in the still-young season. The Billikens are still searching for their first elusive win of the season, and have been outscored 36-11 in 2012.

The team is also looking forward to this weekend for another reason. Not only is it family weekend for Ball State, it's also alumni weekend for the field hockey program.

Maddox said that many different alumni will be in Muncie this weekend from many different periods of Ball State's field hockey history. She also mentioned another former coach who has a lot of meaning to the Cardinals.

"We're going to have a lot of recent alums," Maddox said. "We're also going to have a lot of alums that played for Karen Fitzpatrick, who is obviously legendary here and is just an amazing person and coach. It's going to be really cool to have them come back to see her, but also to see where we're going and what we're doing."

She went on to say that it will be nice for the alumni to connect with the current players.

Saturday's match starts at 1 p.m. Sunday's starts at noon.