WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State success bringing in new transfers

Cardinals receive two players, one available for 2012 season

The word is out about the recent success of the Ball State women's volleyball team under coach Steve Shondell, and two transferring players want to add to it.

Both Lisa Scott, a former middle blocker for Maryland, and Alex Fuelling, a former outside hitter for Morehead State, confirmed in messages with the Ball State Daily News on Sunday that they are transferring to Ball State to play under Shondell.

Scott is a fifth-year player who has one year of eligibility left after recently graduating from Maryland. She said she will be attending Ball State for graduate school.

"I'm super excited about playing with all the great girls on the team! And excited to kick some butt this season!" Scott wrote in a message.

In her three years at Maryland, Scott played in 95 matches and recorded 653 kills and 346 total blocks. She finished with a career attack percentage of .253 and went from hitting .193 her freshman year to .338 in her junior year.

Her career highs stand at 13 kills, 12 blocks and a .750 attack percentage.

Scott will join junior Mindy Marx and redshirt freshmen Hayley Benson and Kelly Hopkins as middle blockers on the roster.

Fuelling is a sophomore who played two club seasons with Munciana before committing to Morehead State. Unlike Scott, she won't be able to immediately contribute to the team.

Morehead State decided not to release her, meaning she'll have to redshirt the 2012 season before being able to play in 2013.

She said she will be able to speak with Shondell on her first day of classes at Ball State as well as practice with the team throughout the season.

In her one year of play, Fuelling started 12 of 32 matches, finishing with a .151 attack percentage, 45 digs and 20 total blocks.

Fuelling's arrival helps offset the departure of outside hitter Whitney Heeres, who decided this spring to transfer to Tennessee. Fuelling will join senior Kara Bates, junior Kylee Baker and freshman Marquita Marshall as the team's full-time outside hitters.

Shondell cannot comment on Scott or Fuelling due to NCAA rules.