BASEBALL: Cards drop second straight versus Belmont

Ball State batting goes cold in Saturday's game

Ball State (2-15) dropped its second consecutive game to Belmont 4-1, Saturday afternoon at Shelby Park.

Ball State was held to just one run on two hits for the game.

Belmont struck first in the bottom of the second inning when freshman Greg Brody hit his first career home run to put the Bruins up 1-0.

The Bruins tallied three more runs in the third. Senior Derek Hamblen drove a 2-1 pitch to right-center field for a leadoff triple. Third baseman Zac Mitchell grounded out to second base, but was credited with an RBI on the play.

After junior Dylan Craig singled to second base, senior catcher Matt Zeblo hit an RBI double to left, scoring Craig. Zeblo advanced to third base following a wild pitch and scored on a sacrifice fly off the bat of outfielder Tim Egerton.

The Cardinals scored in the top of the fourth when junior second baseman Mitch Widau hit a sacrifice fly to right field, scoring senior shortstop T.J. Baumet from third base to make the score 4-1 Bruins.

Ball State came up short offensively, as it couldn't capitalize on Belmont's sloppy defense, which committed three errors.

Despite stealing three bases, the Cardinals were 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position.

Baumet went 1-for-4, with a run scored and a single. Sophomore captain Blake Beemer went 0-for-3, while Widau continued to provide an offensive jolt for the Cardinals, driving in their only run of the game.

Senior Nate Wood (2-3) tossed seven innings of two-hit baseball on his way to earning the win for the Bruins (10-10). Wood collected five strikeouts to just one walk on the afternoon.

After earning the win in Friday's 12-inning affair, senior righty Jon Ivie picked up his fifth save of the season for the Bruins.

Senior left-hander Derek Grabner (0-2) was tagged for four runs, all earned, off of seven hits in six innings of work. Grabner fanned six while walking two and surrendered a home run.

The two teams wrap up their weekend series Sunday. Ball State looks to salvage the final game of the series, while Belmont looks for the series sweep.

It has yet to be determined who will pitch for Ball State in Sunday's series finale.

Freshman left-hander James Buckelew (0-4, 7.17 ERA) will take the mound for the Bruins. Buckelew has worked a combined 21 1/3 innings for Belmont, struggling with his command at times with 12 strikeouts to 11 walks on the season.

First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.