Grammy-nominated artist sells out show at Pruis

Those planning to attend the Tommy Emmanuel concert tonight can expect a full house as the show has been sold out due in part to Emmanuel's work with pledge drives for public television, his manager Gina Mendello said.

Emmanuel, a two-time Grammy award nominated guitarist, will perform in Pruis Hall at 7:30 p.m. Guitarist Rick Price, a pop star in his native country of Australia will be opening up for Tommy with a 30-minute performance. Price has toured with Emmanuel in the past.

"I'm so glad that so many people want to see Tommy Emmanuel, but we just don't have enough seats to fit them all in," Robert Myers, John R. Emens Auditorium director, said.

Myers has worked to bring Emmanuel to Pruis and has seen him play three times.

"The first time I saw him wasn't intentionally," Myers said.

Myers went on to explain that a trip to B.B. King's Blues Bar and Grill in New York City to see another guitarist, Frank Vignola, play led to his discovery.

"Tommy came out on stage as well, and they started playing together even though they hadn't met before," he said.

Emmanuel is known for his talent with the acoustic guitar, something that Guitar Player magazine readers recognized when they named him "Best Acoustic Guitarist," and when he was bestowed the title of "Certified Guitar Player," by his childhood idol Chet Atkins.

He has performed at many notable events including the Country Music Awards of Australia and the closing ceremony for the 2000 Olympic games.

Emmanuel has been touring the United States, most recently around the Midwest, Mendello said.

"We do about 300 shows a year," she said. "We're constantly touring."

Acoustic guitarist

TIME7:30 p.m.

VENUEPruis Hall

COSTGeneral Admission: Adult $20 in advance/$25 at the door; $10 youth (18 & under); $5 BSU students w/ID; Artist Series subscribers $18 in advance.