BSUDM events begin

BSU Dance Marathon fundraisers begin to pop up on campus

Tuesday at the scramble light from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.,  Ball State University’s Dance Marathon hosted a fundraising event in honor of National Child Health Day. 

The day celebrates hope and healing dance marathons around the country created for Riley Hospital for Children.

To raise money for Riley Hospital for Children, dance marathon members put on a variety of games and a hula hoop competition with prizes. These included items like bracelets and stuffed animals. Visitors got 50% off registration for the dance marathon if they registered today. 

BSUDM member, Brenna Hackett, shared just how important these events are leading up to the marathon. 

“We normally host a special once a month. There are different themes and Child Health Day is actually a national holiday, so it’s only annually,” Hackett said. “All dance marathons across the country celebrate it and it’s just a good way for us to get awareness out and recruit people to join us.”

Another dance marathon member, Heaven Briley, mentioned why she participates in each year’s events.

“I enjoy dance marathon events like this because we have wacky stuff and it makes me want to go out and buy a hula hoop again and makes me very nostalgic,” Briley said.

In addition, students were able to pie a cop for five dollars. Proceeds from all activities today went towards Riley Children’s Hospital. 

“We enjoy coming out to help them, it’s for a very good cause,” Officer Matt Gaither said. “We all had a good time and it was fun.”

If you missed your chance to sign up or participate, BSU Dance Marathon will be at the scramble light Thursday, Oct. 6 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. 

Contact Janese English with comments at janese.english@bsu.edu