Anderson’s “Can Man” recovering from accident injuries

Larry “The Can Man” VanNess recovers at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis.

ANDERSON, Ind. --- Anderson legend Larry “The can man” VanNess was struck by an SUV Sunday night and was taken to the hospital according to a post on his Facebook page. 

VanNess was first at Community Hospital in Anderson but was then transferred to St. Vincent Trauma Center in Indianapolis due to serious injuries. 

VanNess suffered a broken left hip, broken left scapula, two broken ribs on each side, two small brain bleeds and two significant lacerations on his head plus several small abrasions in other various places. 

He had surgery on his hip Monday morning and seemed to be in good spirits after the surgery releasing a video on his Facebook page. 

“I'm trying to come back, but it’s going to be a while, god bless you all, and thanks for sticking with me,” said VanNess. 

“The can man,” is best known for his joy in picking up pop tabs around town to donate to the Ronald McDonald House in Indianapolis. VanNess is currently working toward his 26 million pop tab mark. 

If you want to follow VanNess’s journey through recovery, updates are regularly posted on his Facebook page at Larry “The Can Man” VanNess.

Contact Terra Konieczny with comments at tbkonieczny@bsu.edu