Artist of the Month: Ashe

If you are looking for a new artist over the holidays, why not give December’s Artist of the Month, Ashe, a try! Ashe is a singer songwriter from California, known for her song, “Moral of the Story,” released on Valentine’s Day in 2019, and featured in the Netflix movie To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You. Even though many people might know of Ashe because of this song, she has gone on to create a successful music career, with two albums under her belt. Ashe started her Fun While It Lastedworld tour in November of 2022, and will finish out the tour in March of 2023. 

The Beginning of Ashe

Image by Ones To Watch

Ashlyn Rae Willson, better known as Ashe, was born on April 24, 1993. From an early age, music has been a part of Ashe’s life. As a child, she took piano and vocal lessons. Later on, she would graduate from the Berklee College of Music and go down to Nashville to try and get her big break. As of December 2022, Ashe has over 10 million monthly listeners on Spotify, with “Moral of the Story” being her most listened to song, reaching over 477 million streams. She also did a collaboration with Niall Horan on the song in June of 2020. The version of the song that includes Niall Horan has over 181 million streams on Spotify.

Ashe’s Friendship with Niall Horan

Image by Euphoriazine

Niall Horan and Ashe have performed live together on multiple occasions. On Ashe’s Fault Line tour, for London Night Two, Niall surprised Ashe on stage and performed “Moral of the Story” with her. When Niall was performing at the Royal Albert Hall, Ashe sang the duet with him. They also performed the song once more at the Royal Albert Hall for the Late Late Show with James Corden.

The Collaborations

Image by Teen Vogue

Her first album, Ashlyn, was released in May of 2021. On this album, she collaborated with FINNEAS on “Till Forever Falls Apart,” and included the second version of “Moral of the Story” with Niall Horan. Her second album, Rae, was released in October of 2022. There is only one collaboration on this album, which is “Love is Letting Go” with Diane Keaton. Ashe tends to write songs that are full of emotion and lyrically intricate stories that allow the listener to travel into their own world. Ashe is also known for her songwriting skills. Along with writing her own music, she has written for Demi Lovato’s on “You Don’t Do It for Me Anymore.” Ashe has something for everyone with fun pop sounds that will make you dance like nobody’s watching. Her music is so dance-able that she was nominated for a Juno Award under the category, Dance Recording of the Year, in 2017 for her feature on  “Let You Get Away,” by Shaun Frank.

Ashe creates a safe space for fans to enjoy her music and be themselves, whether you are at one of her concerts, or in your bedroom. If you want to listen to a song to make you feel empowered after a breakup, you can listen to “Me Without You.” If you want to listen to an emotional ballad, you can listen to “Fun While It Lasted.” If you want to listen to something that you can dance to, you can listen to “Another Man’s Jeans.” No matter what kind of mood you are in, Ashe has the perfect song for you.

Featured Image by Daily Music Roll

Sources: Spotify, Youtube, Ashe Music, Famous.com, Berklee College of Music, Spotify, Spotify, CBS, Spotify, Spotify, Youtube, Youtube, Spotify, Youtube, Spotify, Spotify, Youtube, Juno Award, Youtube, Spotify, Youtube, Youtube, Youtube

Contact Lily Jones with comments at lkjones3@bsu.edu and on Instagram @lilykate234